broody hens dying

sue5050

Chirping
5 Years
May 11, 2014
Port Hope Ontario, Canada
hi, I have two Bantam hens one is a silky. they sat on eggs at the same time and because I am busy with selling my house and moving , I didn't notice how long they had been sitting. they were over on their time. I went into the coop the other day and the one banty was dead and the silkey off the nest. The eggs were no good and i got rid of them... 2 days later, my silky is laying on the coop floor dead. whats up with that? This happened last year also that one died while sitting on the nest. Maybe she starved herself to death? but that doesnt explain my silkie dying 2 days later while she is eating and drinking normally. Anyone ever heard of this before?

Have you checked for roost mites? They only come out when it's dark but broodies sitting in a nest are prime targets. Check for roost mites after dark, the mites will run from the light so be quick. Check the vent area, they like the moisture there.

Have you checked for roost mites? They only come out when it's dark but broodies sitting in a nest are prime targets. Check for roost mites after dark, the mites will run from the light so be quick. Check the vent area, they like the moisture there.
well, I just checked the now dead silkie (she just passed) and she has mites for sure on her vent. how do I fumigate for this?

There are different products used to treat for mites. You are in Canada so Sevin is on your approved list as I understand it, but there are also other products that work. Most others contain Permethrin as the active ingredient. Some are powders, some are sprays. This treatment only kills the live mites, it does not affect the eggs. You'll need to do it again in about ten days to get the ones that hatch out. You should be able to find something at the feed store.

Whether powder or spray you need to treat all your chickens in the open, not in a closed building, and use a dust mask so you don't breathe it. Plastic or rubber gloves are probably a good idea. Dad used Sevin in powder form and just sprinkled it on, then rubbed it in. Some people put it in a sock and hit the chickens with the sock. I've read where some people put the powder and the chicken (not the head) in a plastic bag and shake it up. If it is a spray, just spray.

Roost mites live in the coop, hiding in cracks in the wood or other dark places. You'll need to treat the coop too. Take all the bedding out of the nests for sure, probably off the coop floor too, and treat the coop. Then put in new bedding. Air the coop out but the eggs are safe to use with no withdrawal period. Do it again in ten days.

There are different products used to treat for mites. You are in Canada so Sevin is on your approved list as I understand it, but there are also other products that work. Most others contain Permethrin as the active ingredient. Some are powders, some are sprays. This treatment only kills the live mites, it does not affect the eggs. You'll need to do it again in about ten days to get the ones that hatch out. You should be able to find something at the feed store.

Whether powder or spray you need to treat all your chickens in the open, not in a closed building, and use a dust mask so you don't breathe it. Plastic or rubber gloves are probably a good idea. Dad used Sevin in powder form and just sprinkled it on, then rubbed it in. Some people put it in a sock and hit the chickens with the sock. I've read where some people put the powder and the chicken (not the head) in a plastic bag and shake it up. If it is a spray, just spray.

Roost mites live in the coop, hiding in cracks in the wood or other dark places. You'll need to treat the coop too. Take all the bedding out of the nests for sure, probably off the coop floor too, and treat the coop. Then put in new bedding. Air the coop out but the eggs are safe to use with no withdrawal period. Do it again in ten days.
thank you , what do you think of DE?

:goodpost:

I'm just chiming in since I'm from Canada. DVL dusting powder can usually be found in a co op agro store and I'm betting TSC probably stocks it too. Below is the item. Under the insecticides heading...I see there is a Sevin mixable spray. I've never seen it here.
http://www.domvet.com/dusting.html
http://www.domvet.com/sevin.html

I've also seen Debantic in our Peaveymarts in the west...I'm assuming TSC farm stores likely carry it since they're the same chain. I've never used this product. :)

Back
Top Bottom