Broody hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Big dreams, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I have two broody hens, I collect my eggs daily, they are still ok right? even if they have been under this hen all day. Also if I keep moving her from the nest to go outside (even though she goes back in shortly) and I keep taking all the eggs how long can I expect them to stay this way?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    When I was growing up, I collected the eggs once a day, just before suppertime, and we never had any problems with the eggs we took from under a broody. Mom always cracked any egg in a separate bowl before adding it to anything else to check them, and I still do the same, but that was not because of the broodies.

This link may help you breaking a broody.

Break a Broody Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2176186#p2176186

3. redhawkou812

redhawkou812 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Joelton, TN
    Last month one of our leghorns went broody - we put her out in the coop run in a dog puppy pen during the day for about 4 days, and that worked fine. We tried just taking her off the nest and putting her outside for a day or two, but she would go right back in again. Putting her where she couldn't get in the nest worked for us.

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Put them in an elevated cage with a wire bottom so air can get to their bellies. That will work for breaking their broodiness. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. Big dreams

Mar 5, 2009
    If you do nothing but take away the eggs, is there a length of time that they stay broody? I guess I am asking when do they just give up? Or would I have time to make her a separate place and let her hatch out a few, she has been this way for close to a month, I take her out every so often just to be sure she is drinking and getting enough to eat.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I had one stay broody for four months. I would try breaking her.

7. Big dreams

Mar 5, 2009
    Four months? Holy Cow, guess I would have time to build her a separate area and see if she really wants to do this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by