Broody is like the FLU!

Kfults

Songster
Jun 12, 2018
Southwest Louisiana
:th:thI have a 3rd Briody HEN!!!!
I let one sit, 4 sweet babies one week old, I let another broody sit and she has 6 eggs tucked under her and now another one! OMG! I took her off the best and placed her on roost after dark and she jumped down and got back in an empty nest. Chicken math..... but this is insane! I only have 2 broody cages and didn’t mean to double my flock in one month..... it is January! I don’t want to know what spring will bring :th
I hate to cage her up to break her in a small dog kennel but...... I can’t do more chicks! LOL

:th:thI have a 3rd Briody HEN!!!!
I let one sit, 4 sweet babies one week old, I let another broody sit and she has 6 eggs tucked under her and now another one! OMG! I took her off the best and placed her on roost after dark and she jumped down and got back in an empty nest. Chicken math..... but this is insane! I only have 2 broody cages and didn’t mean to double my flock in one month..... it is January! I don’t want to know what spring will bring :th
I hate to cage her up to break her in a small dog kennel but...... I can’t do more chicks! LOL
Maybe get rid of your rooster for awhile. Hens can sit all they want but no babies. Isn't your roo the underlying ( pun intended) problem here. Not your broodies. You can gather eggs each day as usual that way.

Maybe get rid of your rooster for awhile. Hens can sit all they want but no babies. Isn't your roo the underlying ( pun intended) problem here. Not your broodies. You can gather eggs each day as usual that way.
The problem with letting them sit with no real eggs is that it can really take a toll on their bodies. With having such high hormones, not eating, drinking or pooping regularly, it can really harm a chicken if you let her sit for extended amounts of time with no babies as a result.

Back
Top Bottom