Broody isa adopting chicks

I think that this i 20210911_160402.jpg s the prairie bluebell baby

Update number 7 i think:

My husband is going to section off a part of coop with wood and hardware cloth tomorrow so mama can stay in the coop safely until she decides to grow a pair, so to speak, and defend the babies. For tonight the hens are staying out in the run. It is covered, predator proof, and has a roost. They are not happy but quite frankly we aren't happy with them right now.

Update 8:

Automatic door opened at dawn unbeknownst to us. Mama and babies were safe in coop, the other hens were milling around the run. She moved to another location on the ground with them. Is this normal for her to keep moving nest around? Is she getting ready to take them outside or something?

Update 10

General consensus is that it was the Welsummer that didn't make it, not the Speckled Sussex like I had originally thought. Notice the pink legs.

Attachments

• 20210912_183533.jpg
    20210912_183533.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210912_183148.jpg
    20210912_183148.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 4
Mama took babies outside today. Suspected bully hen went after a chick. Mama did nothing to defend chick. Not sure how to integrate them if mama will not step up. 20210918_110014.jpg

If the broody hen will not protect her chicks from other hens you need to leave them separated from the rest for a few days. I've never had that happen but others I trust say they have and you've seen it too. It sounds like that happened when they had plenty of room. When room is tight is usually when I have behavioral problems, it sounds like that was not the case.

I'd try keeping the broody hen and chicks separated for another week or so and try again when you can observe. Often this is really easy but it sounds like you are not going to be that lucky.

Isa browns aren't known for their motherly abilities. I'm surprised she brooded at all. Broodies do get better with age. Young hens with babies are like teen mom's with no internet to tell them what to do. Some take to it and some don't.

Does she still tidbit and call the babies, or is she mostly ignoring them until they want to warm up?

It sounds like you'll need to step in and play rooster when it comes integration time. I'd hold off until they're much bigger, can defend themselves, and run away.

Time in the run for them with the other girls blocked off can give them time to learn the environment so they know where they can flee to without cornering themselves.

If the broody hen will not protect her chicks from other hens you need to leave them separated from the rest for a few days. I've never had that happen but others I trust say they have and you've seen it too. It sounds like that happened when they had plenty of room. When room is tight is usually when I have behavioral problems, it sounds like that was not the case.

I'd try keeping the broody hen and chicks separated for another week or so and try again when you can observe. Often this is really easy but it sounds like you are not going to be that lucky.
Shes been in broody enclosure for a week, but I want her to have more space so I think we will move her and the babies to my prefab coop. I did not want to have to do that but she just seems to be unable to defend them from this bully. Or should I remove the bully?

Bully pecked the speckled Sussex chick on leg area, now it is limping and holding leg up. I can stretch the leg out but the toes feel like... dead weight if that makes sense. I'm unsure if it's a slipped tendon from a peck? Can't see any obvious injuries. What a mess this has turned into!

Isa browns aren't known for their motherly abilities. I'm surprised she brooded at all. Broodies do get better with age. Young hens with babies are like teen mom's with no internet to tell them what to do. Some take to it and some don't.

Does she still tidbit and call the babies, or is she mostly ignoring them until they want to warm up?

It sounds like you'll need to step in and play rooster when it comes integration time. I'd hold off until they're much bigger, can defend themselves, and run away.

Time in the run for them with the other girls blocked off can give them time to learn the environment so they know where they can flee to without cornering themselves.
She does everything she should but defend them. She's at bottom of pecking order. They have been blocked off from the others for a week.

Back
Top Bottom