Broody isa adopting chicks

1.Do I need to separate the broody to my standby coop to protect the chicks from the other hens? If I do that, when do I bring them back into coop?
Some people isolate the broody and chicks from the flock so long that they have to reintegrate the hen when she weans the chicks and have to integrate the chicks when they are ready to put them with the flock. I leave the broody and chicks with the flock so she never needs to reintegrate (she never left) and the broody hen integrates the chicks with the flock.

2. When is the best time to introduce? I've seen conflicting answers.
I just called the farm store and they are 1 week old. Still doable or no, you think?
You get conflicting answers because each chicken is different. They don't all act the same. Some hens will accept chicks a few weeks old while others might reject chicks just a day or two old. The other part is that the chicks have to accept the hen too. The older they are the less likely that is to happen. Sometimes it works great, sometimes it doesn't. Just to warn you, especially with older chicks, the hen may want to mother them but they don't pay a lot of attention to her. So she pecks them to force them to do as she says. She's not trying to kill them, just get their attention. But sometimes they will try to kill them. That becomes a judgment call on your part.

If you don't already have hem I'd call the farm tore and ask when the next shipment of chicks is comin in. Or if you want those breeds try it but be ready with Plan B.

3. Nest box is very high off ground for a little baby chick. If they stay in the main coop do they need something moved to the floor?
My hens often hatch in nests 3 or 4 feet off the coop floor. When the hen brings them off the nest she tells them to hop down and they do. It does not hurt them. They can jump down several feet without injury.

After the hen gets them on the coop floor they do not go back to that elevated nest. At night she squats on the coop floor and the chicks stay under her. If it makes you feel better you can put a nest or something on the coop floor, she might use it. Or she might not. She doesn't need it.

Update 1:

Went to farm store today and lo and behold, they had day olds there! I ended up getting a prairie bluebell, a sapphire gem, a welsummer, and a speckled sussex. Will be attempting operation isa later tonight.

Questions for later:

Do I put the babies under her tonight and have food and water down on the ground? They will be in an elevated nesting box tonight because thats where the broody is at.

Do i need to move the broody and babies to the floor early this am?

Update 1:

Went to farm store today and lo and behold, they had day olds there! I ended up getting a prairie bluebell, a sapphire gem, a welsummer, and a speckled sussex. Will be attempting operation isa later tonight.

Questions for later:

Do I put the babies under her tonight and have food and water down on the ground? They will be in an elevated nesting box tonight because thats where the broody is at.

Do i need to move the broody and babies to the floor early this am?
Yes, do not put babies in an elevated nest! 3 inches or lower is okay though.

Here they are on the trip home! 20210910_180104.jpg

Back
Top Bottom