Broody issues; I need some help please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Carolyn, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    I have had chickens several years but this is my second broody and the last time was a 100% failure I attributed to heat and humidity, a sister hen trying to set with her and owner stupidity.
    I have a black australourp who is due to hatch on Aug 7. She is in a pen with a roo and other hens. She gets off the nest in the early morning and this morning as a couple of times in the past I heard a lot of disturbance and went to investigate. When she is off the nest someone else gets on and has probably laid in the nest. I did not mark them; my bad I know, and she has had some broken eggs. I did not have a good option for moving her until a few days ago but I was afraid she would break broodiness and I don't have an incubator.
    This morning the hens were persistent in getting on her nest for when I left thinking they were settled down I returned in an hour and another hen was on the nest. She puffs up and acts broody but she is really a nice hen and since she is having problems protecting her nest I am not sure she will protect her babies. She is also less puffy and dazed looking now than she has been.

Can I move her tonight to another pen or is it too late? I can move part of the other hens to another pen but will the disturbance upset her? I can probably fix a fence around an area for her and her chicks if that would be best.

They are housed in a 10x10 dog pen. I can no longer free range due to predators so everyone is a bit ill anyway.

Any suggestions appreciated. I know I should have marked eggs, moved her, etc in the beginning but I can't change than now. I am trying to continue to raise chickens inspite of predators and my own health issues.

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I'd try to move her. Or put a door on her nest box so no other hen can get in.

3. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by