Broody left rest of her eggs and they are peeping!

You don't have an incubator?
You may want to look up incubating with a heating pad just to make sure you have the right temps, etc.
If the remaining eggs hatch and the chicks are normal, see if Mom will accept them, if not then you will need to brood them yourself - do you have a large tub or some cardboard boxes you can put together to house them in? Provide them with heat, food and water.
You may want to use the heating pad as your source of heat for brooding as well - here's a helpful link on how to do that.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958/

Watch to see that Mom is allowing the chicks to get under her for warmth and is leading them to food/water.
They were collected 2 days apart. Their actual “hatch day” was this morning and the others hatched Friday night and yesterday. I didn’t think 2 days would make a huge difference. I’m hoping it hatches in my crockpot heating pad rig? It’s sunday and nothing is open to get an incubator.
I bet they will! Is it just on warm with plenty of towels?

So do they rest a lot after hatch? Or should I take them out. They are sitting in weird positions and look like they are sleeping. They are still talking and peeping once in awhile . They are starting to dry but not 100% yet

They hatched 6 hours ago
So they are doing o.k.?
They will rest for a little while. They may be sitting weird because of the material they are on. Once they have dried and fluffed out a bit, put them in a brooder with some heat, see if they walk better on a flat surface.
I agree with getting 1-2 drops of poultry nutri-drench into them.

I am afraid if you wait, she will attack the chicks. I actually would get them under her right away. Is she inside the coop with her babies still or at least bringing them inside at night? She is most likely to accept them if they are put under now, as long as they are healthy. But wait till dark if she is out with the chicks.

I have only done it once when only one chick was hatched, and I had to run to the feed store and buy a minimum of 6 chicks. I put them under her while she was still inside a dog crate with the one chick. I would slip one opunder her, then watch, then another, and so on.

If your broody is out and about, I would do it this evening when she is sleeping with her chicks under her in the dark. Once they are under her, spend some time watching. Then before daylight get up to the coop to watch how she acts with the babies. Good luck.

So they are doing o.k.?
They will rest for a little while. They may be sitting weird because of the material they are on. Once they have dried and fluffed out a bit, put them in a brooder with some heat, see if they walk better on a flat surface.
I agree with getting 1-2 drops of poultry nutri-drench into them.
I think they are resting? I can’t really tell. They are breathing and when they hear me they spruce up and start peeping. I have a brooder set up in my basement and light is on so it’s all heated for them when they are ready

I am afraid if you wait, she will attack the chicks. I actually would get them under her right away. Is she inside the coop with her babies still or at least bringing them inside at night? She is most likely to accept them if they are put under now, as long as they are healthy. But wait till dark if she is out with the chicks.

I have only done it once when only one chick was hatched, and I had to run to the feed store and buy a minimum of 6 chicks. I put them under her while she was still inside a dog crate with the one chick. I would slip one opunder her, then watch, then another, and so on.

If your broody is out and about, I would do it this evening when she is sleeping with her chicks under her in the dark. Once they are under her, spend some time watching. Then before daylight get up to the coop to watch how she acts with the babies. Good luck.
She’s super sweet, I gave her a couple babies day before yesterday when I went to the feed store and she was totally fine , but I will for sure wait until night time. She has them all running around. And it’s raining but I’m leaving her along for now I’m sure she’s sick of me bugging her.

Back
Top Bottom