1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Leghorn

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickened, Mar 25, 2012.

1. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Don't let anyone tell you white leghorns never go broody.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. mehzibus

mehzibus Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2011
    I've a blue leghorn, not yet laying. Do all grown leghorn's have such enormous combs and wattles ? Wow.

3. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    I just had one of my barred rocks go broody, its not as crazy as a leghorn going broody lol but I was still shocked

4. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Every one I ever had have a big floppy comb. It will enlarge when they are laying and then shrink when the are not laying. It is a dead give away when they are not laying.

5. Allygirl

Allygirl Out Of The Brooder

WOW what do you do to your birds! I would LOVE if some of mine went broody.

6. mehzibus

mehzibus Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2011
    Lady Blue, bluehorn in previous post died yesterday. Went over the fence (despite many barricades), was chased by dog, rescued by me and then had a heart attack in my arms.

So sad. Didn't even get a chance to grow all the way up. She was such a character, too.

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Broody Leghorn!? Looks like she's got several under there. It's one of those things I'd have to see to believe. Guess that makes me a believer!

8. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Man, that is a sad story, this little girl does the same thing will not stay in coop, lays all over the place and for some reason she decided to set on about 14 eggs that I did not find in time.

9. Larry51

Larry51 New Egg

Apr 15, 2012
    Central Oklahoma
    I just joined today...I have had leghorns for years...I have one that went broody this week....Never had one do it before so this will be a learning experience for me... Going to put 6 eggs under her tonight and see what happens...

10. Jeevesrules

Jeevesrules Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Otley, Leeds, England
    Wow! I have a Welsummer that is persistently broody! Weird!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by