Broody made a mess of the nest on day 18

9/11 = 82%, anything about a 50% hatch is a good hatch
she is a better incubator than me that’s for sure! we are fully committed to the broody hatch when it comes to adding to our own flocks from here on out. we started by letting Foxy hatch three early on in the spring and their integration has been a breeze.

and there’s just nothing sweeter than watching a mama with cute little floofs🤗

BDC026DE-831E-48E6-B27A-556CD6A79BCA.jpeg
E7059B06-5924-4FD7-A7D2-6111A87B5DDF.jpeg
9F0CAC97-0B34-4C0A-901A-50C3DDCAFB7C.jpeg
A83E9555-614B-40BE-AC7E-12A6C6819109.jpeg
5B43F32D-F0AE-4AA2-B2F3-877BC9993497.jpeg

Sprinks has made it to the homestretch of hatching! She has done a great job keeping the nest clean, getting off to eat/drink, etc. but this morning she made a mess. Poop everywhere. It’s just normal broody poop, but it’s on all the eggs. It’s like she got up to poo and it just happened and then she lied in it and smashed it into all the eggs. Do I clean the eggs? Can I wipe the mess off with a dry paper towel? Do I risk anything leaving it because it’s technically time to “lockdown”?

Our only other broody who has hatched was immaculately clean and didn’t even have the crazy big broody poop, so this is semi-new to us. I appreciate any input 🤗
I am in the same situation! My hen just pooped on day 19! Will it be okay to move her and eggs out the nest and clean it out and place eggs back with her?

I have been cleaning her nest every 2 days bc she always poops on back wall! I usually move her let her eat and drink while I clean then she goes back on eggs once she is done eating drinking and of course poops like the next day back in nest’

As Aart says.
Good luck. 🤞

I wouldn’t let her breed a next time if she poops regularly in the nest. Unless the entrance is blocked and she can not go outside on her own. If so, you need to give access/make a run for the broody to stretch her legs.

Yes, but very carefully.

Can she leave the nest on her own?
She can leave on her own but she has been very stubborn! She has been in her own coop with eggs since day 4! She wasn’t getting out after several days and I spelled poop so I moved her and eggs cleaned her out while she ate and drank. Now she keeps pooping in nest! I’m worried she poops again before chicks hatch
Yes, but very carefully.

Can she leave the nest on her own?
yes she can leave the nest but she always poops in it! She has been in her own area since day 7 and after several days with her not getting up I moved her bc I smelled poop cleaned next and she ate drank and went back on eggs now she keeps pooping in nest! I’m worried she poops hatch day

Attachments

• 9D8234BC-5CE7-4F1A-A3D3-8F7E704BD46B.jpeg
    9D8234BC-5CE7-4F1A-A3D3-8F7E704BD46B.jpeg
    865.6 KB · Views: 2
She can leave on her own but she has been very stubborn! She has been in her own coop with eggs since day 4! She wasn’t getting out after several days and I spelled poop so I moved her and eggs cleaned her out while she ate and drank. Now she keeps pooping in nest! I’m worried she poops again before chicks hatch

yes she can leave the nest but she always poops in it! She has been in her own area since day 7 and after several days with her not getting up I moved her bc I smelled poop cleaned next and she ate drank and went back on eggs now she keeps pooping in nest! I’m worried she poops hatch day
Good to hear you did everything possible. I’m curious if the eggs will hatch under such conditions.
🍀I keep my fingers crossed for you.

Good to hear you did everything possible. I’m curious if the eggs will hatch under such conditions.
🍀I keep my fingers crossed for you.
Wait new here , why wouldn’t they hatch? I checked on day 18 all very much life inside each egg! Hopefully it all works out

As Aart says.
Good luck. 🤞

I wouldn’t let her breed a next time if she poops regularly in the nest. Unless the entrance is blocked and she can not go outside on her own. If so, you need to give access/make a run for the broody to stretch her legs.
Successfully moved her and eggs cleaned out nest and they are all back in nest, 2 eggs this time got poop on them

This is bad right?

Wait new here , why wouldn’t they hatch? I checked on day 18 all very much life inside each egg! Hopefully it all works out
Bacteria can get into the egg and grow, and kill the chick.
This can happen with any eggs, but poop on the eggs makes it more likely, and a clean nest makes it less likely.

Since they were doing well on day 18, I think yours have a pretty good chance of hatching, but of course nothing is ever certain when dealing with chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom