Broody Marans

bscorpio73

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
North Carolina
I have a broody marans, and have been taking eggs out from under her every day, and scooting her out of the nest for about a week now. Will she stop on her own? I don't have means to put her in an area off ground to keep her bottom cooled. Any other suggestions to break her would be great.

I have already had two other marans go broody, and now have three chicks from purchased fertile eggs (I do not have rooster), from their broody periods. I do not want to keep buying fertile eggs for them to raise when they go broody, as I am getting more chickens that I want.

I also have a buff orpington that will be going broody soon, as she did late last summer. Are Welsummers and wyandottes typically broody? They are my chicks I have from previous broody marans hatch. I did not realize when I got the 3 marans, that they were a broody breed. I only thought I would have one broody bird (orpington).
sad.png

Thanks for you responses...
big_smile.png

all brown eggers go broody,some more than others.it depends on the individual hen also.
i will usually move mine to a pen by herself with no nest box but it is still hard to break them.

My 3 hatchery cuckoo marans have been broody now for nearly a month. I'm with you - I wasn't expecting that. My blue marans from a breeder isn't that way. I do not have a cure, sadly. But we do not give ours eggs, or leave eggs with them. We collect as normal (if they are peckers you can put one hand in front of their face and use the other hand to get the eggs) and remove them from the nest box at night and put them on the roosts. Eventually (I am sure....
barnie.gif
gig.gif
fl.gif
) they will stop
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom