Broody molting

Willow2253

Crowing
Dec 6, 2019
Eastern Oregon
I’ve got a broody who hatched one chick 3 weeks ago, and now she’s molting. I’m a little concerned because it’s been pretty cold here, around freezing most days and nights with snow. So far it’s just her tail and shoulders missing some feathers, but I’m a little concerned her and the chick could get too cold. They come outside for maybe 15 minutes at a time before going back in the coop a few times a day. Is there anything I should do to help them, or am I being overprotective? It’s a wyandotte hen with a bantam easter egger chick.

I’ve got a broody who hatched one chick 3 weeks ago, and now she’s molting. I’m a little concerned because it’s been pretty cold here, around freezing most days and nights with snow. So far it’s just her tail and shoulders missing some feathers, but I’m a little concerned her and the chick could get too cold. They come outside for maybe 15 minutes at a time before going back in the coop a few times a day. Is there anything I should do to help them, or am I being overprotective? It’s a wyandotte hen with a bantam easter egger chick.
I agree, the mom will keep the chick warm and herself warm. All you have to do is provide shelter, food and water. Mama eats chick starter right along with the chick, which will help the molt bc of the added protein.

Good to know. I have chick starter in the coop for mama and baby, and all flock feed in the covered run for when they come outside. Mama made herself a nest on the floor in the back corner of the coop so she’s away from the doors and any possible drafts. She decided the pile of straw on the floor was better than the pile of straw in the nest box that’s in the same corner.

Back
Top Bottom