broody momma sat on wrong nest. Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicknnugget, Mar 3, 2015.

1. chicknnugget

chicknnugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Mooresville NC
    I hope there is someone out there that can give me a bit of advise. I have a broody hen that has been that way for about 3 or 4 days. she has hatched a clutch once before. I slid a few fertile eggs under her where she sat on them for about 24 to 36 hours. Unfortunately when I got home from work today she was on a different nest of unfertile eggs. Her eggs were now ice cold. The temps here in NC were holding today at 42 degrees. I am sure the interior temp was only a couple of degrees warmer.
    My question is. If she only sat on these eggs for such a short time, would the eggs even have started developing at this point? if so would they survive the cold spell they have experienced already? Also, do you think I should separate her so she can't get tempted away from her nest for other eggs. Lastly does anyone think I should scrap these eggs ASAP and just start over or, let her sit for this week, and candle at day seven. This worries me because she will be sitting for an extra total week. What do you guys think I should do?
    Thanks for any advice you may be able to give me.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    http://www.brinsea.com/Articles/Advice/PowerOff.aspx Brinsea has a nice article on temps, young embryos are apparently pretty resistant to cold according to the research ..."Embryos up to 7 days old may well survive cooling to near freezing for 24
    hours or more without damage."
    If the eggs are important I would be inclined to leave them be and candle in a week, if you can get replacements easily it might be simplest to just replace them that way you don't worry about it... the extra week of brooding wouldn't worry me if the hen is a decent broody she should sit an extra week.
    I would be inclined to fence her nest off or move her away from the other birds if you can / whatever she will put up with ...it is possible she was chased off the nest by another hen and just went to the next nest she found with eggs and sat there.

3. chicknnugget

chicknnugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Mooresville NC
    Thanks so much for the info! I think being chased off the nest is exactly what happened. Her nest is movable, so I think I will take your wise advice move it. I think she will sit in her nest wherever it is. I have a section of the coop I can fence off and she will be able to get off the nest to stretch her legs and eat and drink as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by