Broody momma - sitting again

MarlaMac

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
Central Texas
Our broody is sitting on eggs again. This time she has 14 under her. I thought she had 9, but she must have moved more in when we weren't looking. I am all talk - I said I was going to break her next time she sat. We have about a 75 % hatch rate, but rooster has gotten older and better at fertilizing so we shall see. Then of course, there is the cockerel problem that comes with hatching. Got to start networking out again!

Attachments

• PXL_20230515_223837245~2.jpg
    PXL_20230515_223837245~2.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 7
Good luck for a successful incubation/hatch. If eggs were added after she started setting, be prepared for a staggered hatch. She may leave the eggs within 24 to 36 hours after the first chick hatches.

Good luck for a successful incubation/hatch. If eggs were added after she started setting, be prepared for a staggered hatch. She may leave the eggs within 24 to 36 hours after the first chick hatches.
Thanks. I believe all were added within the first couple of day. This is only day four. This is the 3rd time this hen has bee broody. First time she hatched 2 of three eggs, then 4 of 4 eggs. She was a great mother both times. This time I was going to let her sit/hatch 9 eggs. I guess she had different plans. We shall see how it all goes and how she handles so many more babies. She hatched her previous clutches in the lay box and brought them up in the flock with Rooster Cogburn's help. Hoping for all girls. :lau

Back
Top Bottom