Broody Muscovy with a pale beak???

Just wanting to know so you know hatch rate isn't so good when Muscovy breed with another domestic. So most likely you'll have a good hatch rate. And if she does hatch and it's cold you could maybe set something up inside for her and the ducklings?
What state are you in? Once my Muscovy hatched some ducklings in April and we had a cold front come through Thankfully she didn't freak out when I put her and her 4 ducklings into an Xlarge dog crate brought her inside put her in a cooler room since we burn wood. They did great.
You should candle her eggs. That way you know which ones are going to hatch and which are duds.

Last edited:
Yes we will keep her and ducklings warm if she does have a successful hatch. We are watching her daily. I was even wondering if we should move her before hand incase it happens and we are not around. We are in southern NH

I'd wait till hatch is either started or over. They don't always take to being moved beforehand and can get pretty upset about it. I've had to move a few to the small coop I have used for hatching and they do good once hatch has started. Or wait till after hatch to move them. When these girls have a broody place they have sat in for thirty something days they grow pretty fond of it. lol

so today is day 33? you might even have some pips going on now. If you put an egg up to your ear you can hear peeping if one has internally pipped. It's so awesome.

I'd wait till hatch is either started or over. They don't always take to being moved beforehand and can get pretty upset about it. I've had to move a few to the small coop I have used for hatching and they do good once hatch has started. Or wait till after hatch to move them. When these girls have a broody place they have sat in for thirty something days they grow pretty fond of it. lol

so today is day 33? you might even have some pips going on now. If you put an egg up to your ear you can hear peeping if one has internally pipped. It's so awesome.
Oh ok so once ducklings hatch we can move Mama duck and ducklings to a warmer place? I noticed several days ago she has the eggs in an oval shape and seems to move them but keeps them like that. It is cool to watch. I have not heard any chirping but I also have not sat over her as she chirps at us if we hang out to long. This morning I brought her food and she got up to eat. She has 10 eggs and some she took from the other female. We shall see.
What happens if we have a few hatch that have been under her the longest and what do we do with the older ones. Does she forget focus on ducklings and ignore the other eggs?

With mine they will sit for a few days after last one hatches .But I had one that wouldn't give up for anything and I finally had to take the eggs and candle them and yep they had stopped growing early on. That is why now I candle off and on during her being broody so if any quit along the way I take them out. That way the others have a better chance of hatching and she isn't sitting for days after most have hatched waiting for duckling to hatch that aren't going to. Once you haven't seen any more hatch for a few days then you should really candle to see if those eggs will hatch. It's not fair to mama or ducklings for her to keep on sitting. Place food and water close enough the ducklings can find it because my females aren't usually showing the little ones feed and water she is concentrating on brooding. Make sure you give them a water they can't climb into get wet and chill. Something similar to this will work I always have a deeper one for mama with hole cut for her head so she doesn't
8AFFB8E6-980F-4D46-B4BB-0F9C04A19524.jpeg
splash the water all over and get everything wet.

Back
Top Bottom