Broody Muscovy with a pale beak???

Okay so I finally candles the 2 eggs... Probably should have waited until it was dark as the lighting is not the best. But this is what we have so far. We attempted listening for chirping but nothing. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 20221028_101146.jpg
    20221028_101146.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20221028_101152.jpg
    20221028_101152.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 1
  • 20221028_101215.jpg
    20221028_101215.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 1
  • 20221028_101232.jpg
    20221028_101232.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 1
  • 20221028_101235.jpg
    20221028_101235.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 1
When my Muscvy females are brooding the flesh on their face goes pale. Once they begin laying again the red comes back. Which since it's so late in the year you may not see eggs again until next spring.
I pick up my ducks eggs candle and put them back they may fuss and some can nip but there is no reason other than that to not pick them up. Mine will still be on the nest I just reach under and get an egg.
Yes, exactly!
Mine was so pale (it was a chicken, but still) she looked like a ghost and looked like she got run over. But when she was done she was all back to normal

So crazy... But being a female I do understand how crazy our hormones can be like
Yes, but a big factor is also being that shes not using much energy and shes sitting in the darkness for basically, 21 days. (Provided she does take breaks, but mine took a break every 2 weeks, and they were short.)

Yes, but a big factor is also being that shes not using much energy and shes sitting in the darkness for basically, 21 days. (Provided she does take breaks, but mine took a break every 2 weeks, and they were short.)
Oh ok
My female gets out a free ranging and goes for a swim in the pond for a bit. Cleans herself and back to laying. Our last broody muscovy never took care of herself and she was the only female as well so it seemed to us that the Male duck destroy her 1st 2 attempts and then she disappeared for 4 days after his last attempted destruction.
She came back though and then we couldnt find any eggs. One day I found a pile in between a spot in a rock wall out back. She then she began another run but was not getting up to eat or drink as everytime she did he would mate her. One morning we found her dead on her eggs. It was stressful for her.
This time around we got 2 female to one male.

Oh ok
My female gets out a free ranging and goes for a swim in the pond for a bit. Cleans herself and back to laying. Our last broody muscovy never took care of herself and she was the only female as well so it seemed to us that the Male duck destroy her 1st 2 attempts and then she disappeared for 4 days after his last attempted destruction.
She came back though and then we couldnt find any eggs. One day I found a pile in between a spot in a rock wall out back. She then she began another run but was not getting up to eat or drink as everytime she did he would mate her. One morning we found her dead on her eggs. It was stressful for her.
This time around we got 2 female to one male.
Im so sorry! Its so unfortunate that happened. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom