Broody Muscovy with a pale beak???

Mom4ever

Chirping
Jun 19, 2022
Currently I have one of my females laying on her eggs in her coop going over 30 days now. She has chased out the other female and male duck a few weeks back. She seems to be taking care of herself eating, drinking, bathing herself and doing small increments of foraging than she is back with the eggs. We figured it was a good idea to keep her away from the Male duck as he keeps trying to mate with her. She has about 5 of her own eggs underneath her and 5 of the other ducks eggs. This morning while she did her normal routine I noticed her beak looked pale. I do not believe this is good. If someone can help me out if they have any ideas. Our last ducks died laying on her eggs but she was the only female and she struggled taking care of herself as she wanted to stay away from the male duck. We obviously do not want this duck to die. Any advice would be great.

What a blessing you have been so far...
I certainly agree that Miss Lydia is awesome with advice on all things Muscovy.
Thanks to advice from her and others on this forum, I have had yearly successful hatches from my Muscovy ducks.
Things I have learned are the importance of candling several times throughout the process, writing the dates on the egg, when to intervene or not, and duckling care. My ducks aren't particularly happy when I am checking the nest so I usually try to catch the time they are off taking a break.
My ducks have always shared nesting duties. Now I have two sharing a nest with 2 - 3 eggs in it daily. I already have freezing temperatures at night, so I don't allow my ducks to keep any eggs that would mean a late hatch date.
Can't wait to hear how your hatch goes. Pictures please.

Nice!!!!:D
Thanks to advice from her and others on this forum, I have had yearly successful hatches from my Muscovy ducks.
Things I have learned are the importance of candling several times throughout the process, writing the dates on the egg, when to intervene or not, and duckling care. My ducks aren't particularly happy when I am checking the nest so I usually try to catch the time they are off taking a break.
My ducks have always shared nesting duties. Now I have two sharing a nest with 2 - 3 eggs in it daily. I already have freezing temperatures at night, so I don't allow my ducks to keep any eggs that would mean a late hatch date.
Ms. Lydia has been amazing. Our Mama duck is doing well so far but I am worried about the cooler weather coming so we are hoping whatever happens works out. Will definitely update..

When my Muscvy females are brooding the flesh on their face goes pale. Once they begin laying again the red comes back. Which since it's so late in the year you may not see eggs again until next spring.
I pick up my ducks eggs candle and put them back they may fuss and some can nip but there is no reason other than that to not pick them up. Mine will still be on the nest I just reach under and get an egg.

Well we did some candling the other day and we removed 8 eggs and left 2. Only 2 seemed to be anything hatch able, but not as much as we think they should be. We left them anyway for her.

Back
Top Bottom