Broody not leaving the nest.

marlene

Songster
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
UK
I have a broody that has been sitting on 6 eggs for the last 10 days. The hen was coming out daily, first thing in the morning to eat, drink and poop. But I have not seen her leave the nest for about 5-6 days, it could be that I am just missing her coming out, but I do not think so as there is no evidence of poop anywhere. She was moved 6 days ago into her own coop with small run and I would clearly be able to see poop if she was doing it.
Getting concerned for her health now. What should I do?

Put food and water next to the nest and if you are sure she isn't getting up take her off once a day to poop. She should go into 'lockdown' soon, around day 18-21, so don't take her off in that time. If she wants to get up, fine. Just don't force her.

Do leave the food and water next to her though, and make sure the water can't spill into the nest. Put a rock or something on the bottom of the dish. Hope all goes well!

ETA: punctuation

Last edited:
She is in a large best so I have put a heavy dish with water and another with food at the other end of where she is sitting. I will keep a close eye on her.

I currently have a broody on five eggs and she's on her 17th day. She won't leave the nest herself so I just lift her off once in the morning and once in the evening and then I just leave her to it. She relieves herself and eats and drinks and then rushed back to her eggs, she's never out for more than 10 minutes at a time. Her health is absolutely fine :) The eggs can be left for up to about 20 minutes per day so just make sure she does go back to the nest by herself the first time and after that just lift her out and leave her to it.

I would highly recommend doing this.

Good luck with your hatch!

You shouldn't force the hen off the nest the from 19th onwards as this is classed as lockdown. Lockdown is when the end eats alot and relieved herself before sitting on the eggs until they hatch without moving.this is because she needs to conserve the humidity levels in order for the chicks to hatch ( normally the last three days).

Back
Top Bottom