Broody on the Sly

Ascholten

Free Ranging
Dec 12, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
So she decided to get broody about 4 or 5 days ago. Ive been going out at night and unceremoneously plopping her out of the nesting box onto the pine shavings. She has since taken to, when she hears me open the door, comes running out with the rest of the girls BUT.. the eggs are steaming hot, so I KNOW where she just was. I gather them up when I get home from work BUT she is sneaking around to sit on them.

Hoping this ends soon because I really do NOT want to have to take her ass out and put her in a separate cage for a few days to try to break that, because then it's 2 waters, 2 foods, a lot of extra work. I wish there was an easy way to end this but well.. we all know better. I made the mistake of early on, watching poo tube videos and following some advice. FACT: NO holding a chicken in cool water for 20 minutes to 'cool them down' does NOT stop broody... just to name one stupid such idea. The only thing I have found that does work, is every time you see them on the nest, get your hand in there and toss them out!! After a few days they tend to stop.

Sigh why now?

Aaron

I swear by the broody cage! i dumped mine out fron her nest for a week, then blocked it off for an entire month, she didnt sit anymore but didnt exit broody mode either! she became a picky eater, lost a lot of weight and I was out of her eggs for an entire month :(

Then i tried the broody cage, and she was back to regular chicken mode in just 2 days :eek:

Back
Top Bottom