broody or not broody?

sunket77

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Texas Hill Country!
I am still very new to ducks. I have been trying and trying to hatch eggs in my incubator but to no avail they won't make it! So I decided to let my duck hen keep her eggs since she finally picked a place for a nest and started laying in the same place regularly. She is a black call. Well she would not get off the nest last night to go in the coop and stayed there most of the day but then when I checked again a chicken must have kicked her out and was on the nest to lay an egg. I am thinking of moving the pair somewhere the chickens will leave them alone. But I want to make sure she is going broody and will set. I am not sure how a broody duck acts and I am worried if I mover her she will get confused and won't stay on her nest, any suggestions?

ok I will move her tonight. Only place I can think would be better is the silkie run or our large dog crate. In the silkie run I have all chicks, one roo and a molting hen. So there should be no interest in setting on the nest. A few min. ago I tried to remove the chicken eggs that where in the nest and she bit me and all the chickens came running over and wanted in the nest. The duck eventually ran out over all the commotion and three chickens tried to get on the nest. The funny thing is this box has been sitting empty forever now and all the sudden everyone wants on on it. The thing that worries me also is she is not sitting on al the eggs only like 3 or 4 of them and all the rest are pushed to the side. I am thinking the dog crate might be the better option should I put the drake in with her?

Having a drake in with her may end in broken eggs. I have seen my drake trying to mount a duck sitting on a nest - If she is still laying eggs they should still be fertile at least for a for days after removing the drake.

thanks! I have her moved to the large dog crate last night. My biggest concern is the eggs she is not sitting on, not sure whether or not to take them out..

Back
Top Bottom