Broody Orpington

COCOmaran

Chirping
Sep 17, 2017
I have read that buff orpington tends to go broody than any other breeds. I have a blue splash orpington. Would different orpingtons go broody like buff?
Also, I hope to hatch some eggs from her. That means I need to separate her from the flock. Now, when she is ready to go back, would she have hard time to join the flock back? By the way, I have small coop for her in the run where the rest of the flock hang around. Thanks!

I have buff orpington hens and they sometimes go broody but not too often, if given the chance they could hatch some eggs though. She won't have that much of a hard time the other chickens just need to establish the pecking order, if you are concerned add some hiding places and make sure they have enough space to run around.

Instead of separating her you could mark her vent with something like food dye, I’ve read this works to mark the egg? Hopefully someone can provide more information on that :) broodiness is just down to the nature of the hen, well, hormones, she may brood she may not

If the rest of the flock can still see her she should be fine to go back, and you could let her out each day once she's laid her egg. If you specifically want her eggs you may have to wait until one of your other hens goes broody, then collect the eggs from the girl you specifically want as there's no rhyme nor reason to when a hen will go broody - it's all down to their hormones. And some are not serious about the job so you'll need to wait and be sure that she's serious about sitting.

I have an Orpington who lays 10 eggs and goes broody. No point in 'breaking' her as she'll just lay another 10 eggs and go broody again, and again, and again! She's beautiful though - wouldn't be without her.

I think that's why people like incubators - because you don't have to wait for a hen to volunteer for the position of hatcher! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom