Broody PLEASE!!!

ashyannehand

Songster
11 Years
Jun 25, 2008
Wade, Mississippi
Hi all. This is my second year to have chickens and I have never had a hen go broody. About six weeks ago I was gifted a bunch of chickens including 5 banty hens.
smile.png

One of those banties have went broody, I am almost sure.
wee.gif

She has made herself a little nest in the corner of our coop complete with hay. When I went out to collect eggs this afternoon I found her there and she was giving me the evil eye so I left her alone. I waited about two hours and went back out to check and there she was still in the same place. I decided to see if she would take a couple more eggs. I placed the eggs from today near her rear and left her alone. I went out of the coop but peeked in and she put them all under her.
celebrate.gif

I am so excited. I hope, hope, hope that she truly is broody. This will be my very first experience with a momma hen and her babies and I can not wait.
ya.gif

If anyone has any advice I would appriciate it. Any tricks or anything I need to do.

How many eggs should I allow her to have. Right now she is at 5 or 6. I would like to put a few more under her if I can.

Thanks to all!

My last bantam had 11 eggs, I got 6 chicks hatched out of those 11. It really depends on the size of the hen but my largest hen I would only try a dozen at the most.

Back
Top Bottom