Votes: 4 100.0%
  • hatch chicks in my incubator and give them to her

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Quailobsessed

Crowing
Oct 12, 2019
Australia
So I have a king quail hen who lives in a rabbit hutch with her two daughters she hatched and raised after her mate passed away.

Yesterday I discovered her sitting on a bunch of eggs in there which are infertile since there are no males with them. I want to take this opportunity to give her some chicks to raise since I parent raise my quails where I can and encourage broodiness. I have another pair who have laid a clutch of eggs that they weren't sitting on so I collected seven eggs to give to my broody hen.

My question is How do I give them to her? I've put hatched chicks under broody chooks with no problem but quails being more skittish I'm not sure what would be less disruptive, swapping the eggs while she's off the nest (which she almost never is) or hatching the eggs in my incubator (which I've already got a bobwhite egg in) and giving them to her.

I'm really leaning towards swapping the eggs. Does anyone have experience with this or any advice or method of doing it? Thanks in advance. I'm also considering posting updates on the progress if I do manage to get her some chicks.

I've given my broody king quail eggs before and taken duds away. If you don't want her off the nest, just set the eggs very close to her. She will see them and roll them right under her. She doesn't know who's egg is who's, she just knows it's an egg and its suppose to be underneath her lol
Or If she gets off the nest, to eat or drink, quickly remove the duds and add the new eggs. She won't notice. She'll still sit on them.

I've given my broody king quail eggs before and taken duds away. If you don't want her off the nest, just set the eggs very close to her. She will see them and roll them right under her. She doesn't know who's egg is who's, she just knows it's an egg and its suppose to be underneath her lol
Or If she gets off the nest, to eat or drink, quickly remove the duds and add the new eggs. She won't notice. She'll still sit on them.

Thanks I'll try that!

Update, this quail has gone broody again!

Any ideas on how to get fertile eggs under her?
She rejected them when I tried swapping eggs. Should I try it again and hope for the best?

Back
Top Bottom