Broody question.

NagemTX

Dragon Chicken
Premium Feather Member
Apr 14, 2022
Angleton TX
My Coop
My Coop
Will a broody continue to try hatching eggs if she thinks they are viable? I keep thinking she's done but they keep hatching.

Started Friday March 24th three hatched. On Saturday I checked eggs that where left sence she was off nest with the three. The eggs felt light and I was unable to candle so I held them to my ear. I could hear a chick tap back when I taped my nail on the shell. It hatched Sunday and there was another egg with a pip on Monday evening. The piped egg has hatched now as well Tuesday.

Its cooled off some so she's not getting off the nest with babies as much Tuesday evening. We've also had high humidity and beed in the mid 80s during the time she was off nest alot with the babies. Its dropped to low 70s now and upper 60s.

Some of the eggs that I put under her where a day or two behind the others.

Will a broody continue to try hatching eggs if she thinks they are viable? I keep thinking she's done but they keep hatching.
In nature she would have to make that choice.. one group or the other would be way less likely to survive. Late hatchers aren;t ready to follow mum around and early hacthers need to find food and water.

In back yards.. we pull and get away with ALL kinds of things that would never cut it in the wild.

Congrats on your Mum & babes! 🐥

Good luck helping her work out the differences!

Maybe next time.. save and set all the eggs on the same day to set her up for maximum success and for the "best possible results". :)

Thanks for the reply. I've been helping her too maybe that's why as well. I go out and offer food and water to her on the nest in the evening after work. Lol, layed down in the coop with her and the babies the other day and she brought them to me. She takes the chick crumble from my hand and gives it them. Guess I'm kinda pampering her and she feels she can hatch the rest.

It's been interesting as my phoenix are the flighiest of the flock but they have been very trusting of me during this time.

That's so sweet!
Our Hackle broody is a great mama but a cranky pants... when she thinks her babies need something (like scratch the big birds are getting) she kicks over the waterer and feeder and scratches at the gate.

I think she will probably sit on the eggs as long as they are cheeping. (since she is a good Mom)
Plus broodys tend to keep their chicks under them for 2 days or so and it's natural to keep sitting in the same spot on the eggs.

I've seen them leave after one chick hatched and I've seen them sit on a nest so long my granny finally pulled the rotten eggs from under her. It all depends on the chicken. Personally after about 25 days I throw any unhatched eggs away if she is still trying to sit. IMHO momma needs to worry about the hatched chooks by that time.

Eggs didn't smell and they kept getting lighter. I ordered a candler so I could check. It should be here today.

Oops I guess I could use my phone light. I didn't think of that. Might try it this morning.

Lol, that one is currently lost. I'll have something today for checking the broodies eggs. I have another hen that just started sitting on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom