backhoemama83

Hatching
Aug 2, 2021
One of my RIR's has FINALLY become broody - she's been sitting on the nest for about a week now. I was ecstatic when I realized what was happening, because they have been great egg layers, but this is the first time any of my hens have been broody!! The problem is, her sisters keep trying to run her off the nest (even though they have twenty other nests to pick from), and at least seven of those nests are frequently chosen by the various hens - but two or three times a day there is a commotion in the coop, and I find another hen sitting in the nest WITH the broody hen, or a hen trying to peck the eggs she's sitting on!! They have broken two or three on the outer edge, and I'm worried we'll lose them all if I don't remedy the problem. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Try to move her at night. Do you have another coop or maybe a cage you can put her in to raise chicks in?
I do have a moveable pen, and oddly she has actually chosen the one nest they made separately from the big metal nesting boxes... I could probably clear out the area around her where she sits and place the pen over her without moving HER at all!! That was a great idea - thanks so much!!

I do have a moveable pen, and oddly she has actually chosen the one nest they made separately from the big metal nesting boxes... I could probably clear out the area around her where she sits and place the pen over her without moving HER at all!! That was a great idea - thanks so much!!
Your welcome! Keep us posted on how she does! 😁🐔

Back
Top Bottom