BROODY RIR

FLRIRCHICK

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2017
We have 5 RIR hens in our backyard. I just discovered that one or two are brooding. I have read that I can put her in a wire cage (I have a wired dog crate), hang it or put it off the ground to try and break her of this. My question is do I put the cage in the run with the others or do I put the cage in the garage away from the others?

Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined us! When I have a broody I tend to remove her from the coop and other hens. Not sure why I do this...probably because it's easier to move the hen to the cage than the cage to hen. Not sure if it makes a difference where the broody is in relation to the others. I also don't suspend the cage - I just put a couple 2x4s under the edge of the cage on each side to keep her from nestling down on the ground. Here's a link that talks about breaking a broody:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Breaking+a+broody
Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

It can be helpful to put the broody buster cage in a bright place with plenty of activity going on around it, so in the run is probably best as long as she is protected from rain etc. Broody hens like dark quiet places because they go into a trance like state, so the combination of air flow underneath her to cool her off and light and activity to distract her, will all help to break her.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

I thought RIR's don't go broody
idunno.gif

welcome-byc.gif

When I had an almost non-stop broody Black Australorp, I did what rebrescora posted...I put the broody buster in the covered run along with the other chickens. That way she was getting fresh air and the other birds could still see her.

Good luck with your broody!

G’Day from down under FLRIRCHICK
frow.gif
Welcome!

I agree with the great advice you have received so far but just wanted to add that wherever you do put her, make sure she can not see the nest box or she will sit there drooling
droolin.gif
wink.png

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom