Broody Silkie Question

KCalhoun

Chirping
Jun 8, 2020
I know it’s probably been ask before but I’m still pretty new to chickens especially now that I have a broody silkie. She laid one or two eggs and now for the last couple of days she is sitting in the nesting box even with no eggs!!! My other 3 girls has gotten in with her and laid their eggs. I don’t have the rooster in with them cause I’m not ready to raise any just yet.
So my question is will she lay eggs being broody and will it hurt if I put another fertile egg under her just to see what happens???

I know it’s probably been ask before but I’m still pretty new to chickens especially now that I have a broody silkie. She laid one or two eggs and now for the last couple of days she is sitting in the nesting box even with no eggs!!! My other 3 girls has gotten in with her and laid their eggs. I don’t have the rooster in with them cause I’m not ready to raise any just yet.
So my question is will she lay eggs being broody and will it hurt if I put another fertile egg under her just to see what happens???
She will not lay eggs. It will not hurt her in the least if you put fertile eggs under her. She WANTS fertile eggs to hatch. She WANTS those babies. I would totally give them to her if you are sure she is committed.

Thank you for the info!!! I only put one egg under her just to see and I have noticed that the only time she gets off the nest is to eat when I feed and she’s right back in the nest!!

Back
Top Bottom