Broody vs sick chicken

ButtersPA

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 3, 2014
Hi
I am sure you get this question a lot but
How do I tell if my 14 month old Sussex is broody or sick.

She constantly runs back to the nesting box and sits with or without eggs. If she is in an empty box and another hen lays an egg she will move to it.

The reason I am concerned is that she doesn’t come out for food or treats. When I first set her down in the grass after removing her from the box she sits there for a few minutes.

Eventually she will go off and forage and eat. Her nape and tail feathers are fluffed and her comb is a little pale.

The other hens sometimes pick on her but it is one particular hen that usually starts it.

Not sure what to do.
attached is a pic of my Sussex and the her with the aggressive hen

Thanks for your help
Mary

Attachments

• F5577748-F9B5-44EC-9BD9-2ECADAF36042.jpeg
    F5577748-F9B5-44EC-9BD9-2ECADAF36042.jpeg
    498.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 85284D25-DE16-48A6-B34D-B1D0422A94CC.jpeg
    85284D25-DE16-48A6-B34D-B1D0422A94CC.jpeg
    839 KB · Views: 1
You have a broody hen, from everything you described - running back to a nest, refusing food and drink, fluffed feathers, sitting in a 'broody trance' outside for a bit before they snap out of it, pale comb, etc. All broody behaviors. One more: When you reach into her nest box, does she get all fluffed up and growl?

I have one currently who will pick a different nest box every day, so I can't trust her to sit on a clutch to hatch date - she moves off of them and picks another! -- every. single. day. I have to remove her from whichever box, and take her outside. (I love this moment before they 'wake up', because it's the only time a hen will let me hold her without a fight, and cuddle!) Then I set her down near a water can, with some food and scratch nearby. And shoo the other hens away until she's fully herself again and eating.

Chickens will pick on others if they sense any change of behavior, health, appearance, or whatever bird-brained reason they can find. Unless they're fully attacking her and there is risk of real injury, I wouldn't worry about it.

Do you have a rooster in the flock, where you can let her sit some fertilized eggs? Or can you get some for her?

Thanks for your help. No I don’t have a rooster I only have the 7 hens.
I will keep a watch over her.
On the days I need to go into work I worry she won’t get any food or water because I don’t take her out. They are all in the run for the day and won’t let her have food.
The one hen really looks like she could draw blood as she goes for her head.
I might separate the mean girl for a day to maybe settle her down?
Some internet suggestions are to put a broody hen in cool water to bring her temp down & try to break the cycle.
What do you think.

I would stop her from being a broody, since you don’t have any rooster or fertilized eggs. She could starve herself and become weak and die if she stays broody. I would break her inna wire dog crate with no bedding on the floor. Having a roost in it or a pen would help, and you can throw some feed or a little scratch for her to peck around and pass the time. It can take 3-5 days.

I would stop her from being a broody, since you don’t have any rooster or fertilized eggs. She could starve herself and become weak and die if she stays broody. I would break her inna wire dog crate with no bedding on the floor. Having a roost in it or a pen would help, and you can throw some feed or a little scratch for her to peck around and pass the time. It can take 3-5 days.
Thanks

Broody hens will generally leave the nest once a day to get food and water, but then return. You may not notice it. Still..... it's best to either give her something to hatch, or break the broodiness.

Back
Top Bottom