Broomstick Method for culling turkey?

Yup. I am a small person. Turkeys and geese are a lot of bird to wrangle one-handed, and this is the method I was taught.
Baseball bat, aim for the head and swing for the fences like Babe Ruth. You'll either miss clean and no harm done or kill instantly.
LOL unless it's a people agressive, if you miss you'll never get close to it again

LOL unless it's a people agressive, if you miss you'll never get close to it again
One might think, but no. If you swing like you should, there's just a puff of air over their heads and they kinda look around like "Hey, did you see something?"

Seriously, do a little batting practice with a ball, then just walk up to them (don't creep or sneak) and WOOSH. No up and down, no hesitation, no "Oh, I'm gonna hurt it..." (Which is the most certain way to hurt something) just same as you would to the baseball. You'll either obliterate it = instant, painless death, or gently ruffle it's feathers with a breeze.

One might think, but no. If you swing like you should, there's just a puff of air over their heads and they kinda look around like "Hey, did you see something?"

Seriously, do a little batting practice with a ball, then just walk up to them (don't creep or sneak) and WOOSH. No up and down, no hesitation, no "Oh, I'm gonna hurt it..." (Which is the most certain way to hurt something) just same as you would to the baseball. You'll either obliterate it = instant, painless death, or gently ruffle it's feathers with a breeze.
If you swing too low, does it break their neck?

It will take some time for me to work up the guts to do it.... but this is probably the best option for one person (other than using a gun!)

If you swing too low, does it break their neck?

It will take some time for me to work up the guts to do it.... but this is probably the best option for one person (other than using a gun!)
Try hard to not swing too low. First, you don't want to even risk a body hit.

Second, the short answer is yes, you will break the neck. The long answer is the head may pop off as well.
Which is not a bad thing in and of itself. Instant, painless death and it certainly means you swung right (and I can not emphasize enough to not dink around but to swing for the fences) but it can be traumatic for you. Especially if you've never done this before and don't know it can happen - voice of experience.

Back
Top Bottom