Brown Chinese/African Geese: Are they good brooders?

FeatherLace

Songster
Apr 7, 2020
Waycross, Georgia
So I have 7 chicken hens, at least 3 female guineas, a female khaki campbell duck, and a female goose. Ive read that thus breed of goose is an excellent egg layer and mother, and ive also read that guineas and this breed of chicken are horrible mothers. I was wondering if I wanted to hatch any chicks or guineas, could I place the fertile eggs under the goose for her to hatch them when she starts laying her own instead of an incubator? Has anyone tried this before? Were they succeful??

I probably wouldn't. Reason being, she'll try to take them in water, etc, which as you can imagine is not good for baby chicks and keets.

Guineas are actually pretty good mothers. They sit and hatch their eggs just fine. What breed of chicken is it that you have?

Also gonna suggest you get at least one more duck and one more goose :) They need friends of their own species to be really happy.

I probably wouldn't. Reason being, she'll try to take them in water, etc, which as you can imagine is not good for baby chicks and keets.

Guineas are actually pretty good mothers. They sit and hatch their eggs just fine. What breed of chicken is it that you have?

Also gonna suggest you get at least one more duck and one more goose :) They need friends of their own species to be really happy.
Well I was planning on taking them as soon as they hatch.

I have Ayam Cemanis and Rosecomb Bantams, which I read aren't broody at all most of the time.

My ducks and geese are together with my guineas and they seem very happy. They always lay together in pairs with the guineas surrounding them

I have Ayam Cemanis and Rosecomb Bantams, which I read aren't broody at all most of the time.

I can't say about Rosecombs, but ACs absolutely are broody and are fantastic mothers. I bred them for about four years and the hens were very good with brooding and raising chicks.

My ducks and geese are together with my guineas and they seem very happy. They always lay together in pairs with the guineas surrounding them

My bad, the way your post read, when you said you had a female khaki campbell and a female goose, I read that as you ONLY had the one female duck and the one female goose, and no other ducks and geese.

I can't say about Rosecombs, but ACs absolutely are broody and are fantastic mothers. I bred them for about four years and the hens were very good with brooding and raising chicks.

My bad, the way your post read, when you said you had a female khaki campbell and a female goose, I read that as you ONLY had the one female duck and the one female goose, and no other ducks and geese.
Oh no of course not. Every species has at least one male counterpart. My ducks and geese have already pair bonded im pretty sure.

Also I've read everywhere that cemanis aren't broody at all, and I'm starting to believe that. NONE of my chickens have shown any interest in nesting or laying, which is strange i think. They are 6 months old and have a 7 month old roo who hasn't tried breeding them yet either. I tried adding nesting boxes and they just rip all the bedding out to sift for bugs, even when I've tried 4 different types of bedding. Ive tried ceramic eggs but they just pushed those out of the nest and started playing with them like toys. Ive tried the method to see if they were ready to breed by just hovering my hand over their back but they pay no attention to that either. I just thought they were broody and won't start laying until the first egg forced itself out lol

Sounds like they're just not ready to be laying yet :) Some breeds mature more slowly than others.

But they definitely are broody. Here, this is probably my favorite picture of one of my AC hens. Look under her wing:

Tz85nzmm8Qafm0NWoXu7sOtwi0webCxZG98s2lPZisFNFEE2T0dSOEElvfuAiTSzoWyVtH-U3CJu7KDfpITZxwskgB3CdbHEGC1CZ42h2L_9TZTxNV54afCJD-Ks7TBri9XCwcHrwzUjCk76y6zfVmeSfumItr4YgCMgHSIpbD4pGZ7Q3J-XP5zzg1bNrBRzqVNmJt7d_tXPyVp_c5wO5d2TgCRMg9LkLoVILNs_ZFJGEKZdy9P2PABy5h0yq6j8uvV0jkKCxqQCG8iryPyWKNgHrHlWS1UiHPwwvyeksykgRxBQOaH8rrQTvkouqgiw7sbW0mRbuUlYUMJdL1oNHoIYf3wVYOnPYaVVAuFJWDwkPUn7GWjk5xEqD91Cf6acZScfBP9rHXLwPp426NWb1PWGH8p3r4s7q0fls6MbkZ0BUJkVfN7Z2meZExyTLlPf7To3Eoq15fgR--4Mp3E7RABQzGGVwLXAu-vpX8GVrmfnVr96B8y6NkTPJ5gf-60vm5ykg6llbjraRHtb7pQmrmyEv-qfvDaKPAaY-nM0FG38v6_1UEFjKX_WPVY1Cjni2sAeJaUQskpbDI9WxpW2Wsik-1V5l7WfdzLTwNLEawQKbT4ozWTjaQoY40gBEcAjGDl8zHeIBBI0iRXX75zmSEm2yBlt8B8ejjOTWSGXjmP7xFZQSaqwiG-Y0bBp=w1176-h886-no

Here's another one of my hens with her chicks that she just hatched:

fTiAME1altOU0fLzxAmklxMAQF4KvPKRN7eUUgmbmNbV1LHPA9b6HmX-7komnjracGo5z4IdrvOmoZSGJrG9gCRt4cqcu4y2ufVQMiYtZC9rGD3v9iuYSzZjrxxtnYL6dP__pCO9IWgLf7Pf6_T--L8Tu_6XkcaGqmx7uSHCRsGPAebxsXwGdUycCHVyh_IHBOcoYgKDQJfEvDaQQoehYlqgAI27ktEuySyCRRELlNwmqloyJ-y8BfH1hme2-2ofFA5tNAcNtsHtaKtZKm4IRj3RMCyDMpCjelf8ty51w5h9KGJGC6Rq677qgAtlGxmcSTCvpBVpi-qWT9K_w20Cz4C08Rz2x27GM65FEUEexOQMuMEatS_B-fa3Z2adUPUJgqZ69P0cre5UmlTfa2hg5IIAwIR-dniPmaBZsq1j3DeziO5XDVliLI44vqAa30jGncX5G-3-HcwYLb0Bb8n3eLzjREdBi-X0-EQl4RiW6Ojxp2unzgCxSfBNiQl1tX73SbI1WUyc7bjggdyLXtRV38G1YRFpwQHpDZBdD7thGtlXCifVrM_XB-SVJG8HFoBa-HVKDutFlHHpRa9NQG5IeCIrC5wnK-ON4N0BBvIKTA02G7wl3DdzQbLWsysqlagsSX6O5rENd3Tg6DiYT2jYev137U4Ck_axByuAFuHxcxps4lTVlrW_oDLE9FAw=w1250-h937-no
'

So I promise, they do go broody, and they are good mothers :)

Back
Top Bottom