Brown Egg layers laying green/olive eggs?

I have a variety in my flock, some are pure but quite a few are EEs and/or surprise mix breeds. I've noticed the ones that lay blue, green or olive eggs also tend to have leg skin colors of grey, almost blue. Some of mine with the dark leg skin color also have laid dark brown eggs, but I've never had a yellow leg skin color hen lay a blue, green or olive egg. I also have 1 EE with a head tuft that lays light brown eggs, so can't always go by the head tuft either. It's really cool to be able to offer a dozen eggs with about 12 different shades ranging from...Ivory, lightest brown, medium brown, darkest brown, pale blue, medium blue, greenish blue, sage green, olive green, white & occasional pinkish or plum or speckled colors. ❤️
View attachment 3715998View attachment 3715999View attachment 3716000View attachment 3716001
View attachment 3716004View attachment 3716005View attachment 3716006View attachment 3716007View attachment 3716008View attachment 3716009

In Pic #8 there is an orange-ish rooster ... what is he, what breed, do you know? He looks very much like my Rojo, but Rojo has a rose comb. I think mine is probably a BYX but don't know as he was given to me.

In Pic #8 there is an orange-ish rooster ... what is he, what breed, do you know? He looks very much like my Rojo, but Rojo has a rose comb. I think mine is probably a BYX but don't know as he was given to me.
That is Juno, a Buff Orpington Rooster, a deep golden color
20201004_113140.jpg

I have some Wyandottes, not sure if my male Roo Jaylin here has what is considered a classic Rose comb, but his hen Autumn does. 20201004_121316.jpg 20200914_111120.jpg

Last edited:
That is Juno, a Buff Orpington Rooster
View attachment 3717719

He's gorgeous. Is he good with you and the hens? My Rojo is amazing. All the girls love him. I've never had a rooster as popular; the flock stay with right with him. And not one of my hens ever has lost feathers due to overbreeding or from being held by the neck. He knows his place with me and all humans; he always gives way. I'll see if I can find a pic of him tomorrow, or take one.

Whats the big blue and orange guy? A Wyandotte or Wyandotte mix?
Sorry I had to look back through the pics, I have so many on this phone lol.

So you mean this Roo...yes that is Jaylin, a Wyandotte, Blue Laced Red
3679121-ac0d484b5aa12243b6702f0b1391b737.jpg
I have 4 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, 2 Roos & 2 Hens, Rose combs

Jaylin & Autumn
20201004_121341.jpg

Jojo Phoenix & Opal
20210717_193800.jpg 20201224_120447.jpg

My original Wyandottes, a Silver Laced Roo named Harley & Blue Hen named Violet, 2 Ivory (with some red) Hens, Petunia & Peaches
20210410_094103.jpg
20210410_094119.jpg

Last edited:
He's gorgeous. Is he good with you and the hens? My Rojo is amazing. All the girls love him. I've never had a rooster as popular; the flock stay with right with him. And not one of my hens ever has lost feathers due to overbreeding or from being held by the neck. He knows his place with me and all humans; he always gives way. I'll see if I can find a pic of him tomorrow, or take one.
I am so blessed that all of my Roos & Hens are sweet. They are nice to eachother & super sweet with me. I can easily handle, hug, pet & sit each bird on my lap for attention & being fussed over, which comes in handy as I check them often for any potential mites, bumblefoot or just overall health checks. I love them so much. ❤️

View attachment 3717751
Here's Rojo. Is that a rose comb? Somebody told me it was. Also, do his spurs grow at a weird angle? They seem to point straight up at him.
Wow he is a handsome boy! He looks like a Buff Orpington with a rose comb of a Wyandotte...interesting combination. Most spurs grow outward but yes a few of my Roos spurs grow upward. Here's a weird one...I have an old hen with 1 spur! Hers curls around, so I have to trim it or her poor leg gets rubbed with that curled spur. She is a large EE, lays big blue eggs & is my only hen that grew a spur.

Back
Top Bottom