Brown egg layers more aggressive?

Interesting!
My experience with production reds has been negative, in that they have often been feather pecking, nasty hens. This is in a home flock setting, with space and free ranging opportunities.
This article comes from the commercial side of things, with hens in tiny cages, and beak trimming normal practice. I'd think that most hens kept in those conditions would be trying to kill each other!
Long ago, when I had poultry science class in college, it was expected that the chicks would be beak trimmed, and they were almost all white egg layers, because few brown eggs were sold commercially then.
The only thing that really matters commercially is egg production!
Mary

This is pure bullsh*t! All white chickens do not produce white eggs! And brown egg layers are not more aggressive than white egg layers! In the USA white eggs are associated with the "Big Farms" chicken industry and people prefer brown eggs for that reason. California just passed a law that all animals have to be housed to allow them to turn around, flex their limbs and wings and lay down comfortably if caged. Looks like propaganda to me. I'm sure you don't keep your chickens in cages, nor do I. I know no one with chickens that keep them caged. They free range all day and are quite docile and content! They seem to even like one another!! :hugs

Attachments

• free ranging after the rain.jpg
    free ranging after the rain.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 2
Disgusting!
Commercial birds don't have good lives...
All that matters to most consumers is cost at the store, and animal welfare isn't part of their thinking at the grocery.
Mary

Any breed of chicken, if stuffed in a cage with a couple others...No matter what color eggs they lay....will have the potential to be a feather picker due to boredom and a compleete un-natural way of life.
And this fantacy that brown eggs are healthier than white eggs is stupidity.
No matter what color the egg shell is, the hens and eggs in this enviornment are going to be equily unhealthy compared to our free range/run kept farm birds that most of us have and love.
Still, what they are doing now is better than what was done in the old days.
700.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom