Brown film on brown eggs

oopsadazy27

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 6, 2014
One of my hens laid an egg today that was unique. It was very sticky when I picked it up, but dried by the time I got it in the house. There was a brown, dull sheen film over the shell. It can be rubbed off, but is on there pretty good. Is this something that I should be alarmed about?

I think that is normal.
Most brown pigment is applied after the shell is formed so can be rubbed off.
If an egg was just laid, the cuticle (bloom) will still be wet and sticky - especially if it is humid.

That sticky stuff on a freshly laid egg is bloom. It's what seals that egg and prevents bacteria from entering. Some hens lay eggs with lots of bloom, some lay eggs with hardly anything noticeable on them. It's normal, but if you rubbed it off, you need to refrigerate that egg now.

That sticky stuff on a freshly laid egg is bloom. It's what seals that egg and prevents bacteria from entering. Some hens lay eggs with lots of bloom, some lay eggs with hardly anything noticeable on them. It's normal, but if you rubbed it off, you need to refrigerate that egg now.

Exactly.

Hi! First me poster here so if I am the wrong area just let me know. But I have a hen laying eggs with a brown film on them. I am wondering if it is the same thing. Feel free to tell me what the heck is wrong with the one too.

Hope everyone had a great day!

Back
Top Bottom