brown recluse (fiddle back) killed today!!!!!

Quote:
I was happy to see you say "WE built in THEIR woods". So many people get upset when they see a wild whatever, and tend to forget that WE are taking THEIR habitat away, and they are only doing what's natural. Survival instinct.

Jen

I got bit by on on my little toe this summer. It took a while for me to figure out what was going on and I don't know where I was when I got bit either Nasty things I didn't have as much of a hole as others I have seen but it was bad enough

32511_1006230007.jpg

I agree about but in their woods, so did we. Don't know where you are at but we have scorpion in Missouri as well. Seen my share of brown recluse, a few scorpion here and there along with black widows. Funny thing happened when we first moved here. We own a mobile home and DW says we need to think about winterizing while it is warm. I say sure. The first price of skirting I moved down drops a black widow. I was like we will winter when it gets cold. Hate them nasty little burgers.

We're in Cent. MO. Brown Recluse are very common. A section of our home was constructed on the stone foundation of an earlier dwelling. We are in the woods. Some mornings we'll find several Recluse in the tub. Neither of us have been bitten (going on 17yrs). That said, some folks are more sensitive to the venom than others. We only get serious with the Black Widows (can be aggressive if web is disturbed).

Below is a quote from article that the University of Riveride in California published some years ago when the sunshiners went into hysterics about Recluse (the Missouri/Kansas info reflects our experience):

In its native range, the brown recluse is a very common house spider. A colleague in Missouri found 5 in a child's bedroom one night, a person in Arkansas found 6 living under his box spring in his bedroom, during a cleanup at the Univ. of Arkansas, 52 were found in a science lab that was being used everyday, a colleague found 9 living under one piece of plywood in Oklahoma, a grad student and I collected 40 of them in a Missouri barn in 75 minutes, and would have collected more, but we ran out of vials to house them. One amazing story is an 8th grade teacher in Oklahoma checking up on his students avidly collecting material by some loose bricks around a flagpole on an insect collecting trip. In about 7 minutes, 8 students collected 60 brown recluses, picking them all up with their fingers and not one kid suffered a bite. An even more amazing story is that of a woman in Lenexa, Kansas who collected 2,055 brown recluse spiders in 6 months in 1850s-built home. This family of 4 has been living there 8 years now and still not one evident bite. (see Vetter and Barger 2002, Journal of Medical Entomology 39: 948-951). When you find brown recluses in an adequate environment, you do not find one, you find dozens.

http://spiders.ucr.edu/myth.html

Last edited:
Quote:
"Camel spiders can move at speeds over 30 MPH, screaming while they run."
ep.gif

LOL .. that's like something out of The Mummy ..
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom