Brown Rice

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Pokey11, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Pokey11

Pokey11 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2007
    I buy organic brown rice and steam it for my chickens -- which they love!!! What I am wondering is -- how much protein is that?
    I have no way to buy organic grain where I live, and try and grow greens year around for them, and than I give them some scratch and the brown rice daily. Helen in Las Vegas NV:D

2. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Hi,
    Looks like 7.5% which is quite low. I personally would just use it for a treat, and make sure they get some high protein treats too! Maybe give them some fish with that rice!

Here is a link look at the bottom for proteins in many chicken grains..

http://www.lionsgrip.com/protein.html

ON

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  3. Pokey11

Aug 24, 2007
    Thanks -- actually it is more of a treat. They have a large variety of food - fruits - vegetables - greens. The brown rice is expensive so really could not give them as much as they would like. In the summer, when its over 110 here I usually give them cold pasta in the afternoon - a treat and hopefully cools them down just a little. They also have a misting system. Anyway glad to have that cleared up.

4. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    [​IMG]
    Is this in addition to a layer feed? Are they free-range? I would be concerned, that they are not getting enough protein, as they need about 16% protein in their diet, and all the items you have listed are much less than this. If you don't want to feed a formulated feed for some reason, you could ameliorate that by giving them low-salt fish, good quality cat food, meal worms or other high protein foods. Free range chickens can supplement with bugs etc...but they are harder to find in the winter.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  5. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
  6. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    If for some reason you dont give them layer feed
    I was going to suggest just as the previous poster
    Cat food is higher in protein.
    [​IMG]

7. startingaflock

startingaflock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2009
    Quote:I put a half of a watermelon out in the summer when it's really hot. My girls go nuts. I figure it's added liquid as well as something cool!

8. Pokey11

Aug 24, 2007
    Good idea -- I hate watermelon -- but if I can find it on sale -- I will gladly bring home the melon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by