Ration for mixed spent and laying flock

cate1124

Songster
12 Years
Jul 3, 2011
I've typically fed 16 percent protein crumbles to my hens, which seems to support them well. (I halve it with 22 percent meat bird crumbles during molt, to bring protein to about 19 percent.) I see here, though, that many folks routinely feed an all-flock ration with higher protein, for reasons I'm not clear on. My flock now comprises four geriatric girls (8 and 9) who no longer lay and five 3-year-olds, who are actively laying. Is there any compelling reason to switch to higher protein? Don't want to harm the health of my old, non-producing girls trying to provide more protein to my younger hens when they seem fine without it. (Dried mealworms -- about 50 percent protein -- are a daily treat, and a couple days a week, lower-protein plates of fun foods, including brown rice, spinach, hard-cooked eggs, apple, grapes.)

Good morning,
16% protein was a number that was established based of the minimum protein requirements for feed to egg conversion of specifically egg farm White Leghorns 60 Years ago. Today's white legorms are more productive and need at least 17% protein, and your dual purpose hens like most people keep need at least 18% protein. Most studies on chickens in the last 30 years have used 17% protein to feed.
You can feed chick feed, all flock, game bird starter etc with oyster shell for the layers. High protein won't hurt your girls unless you start hitting levels around 30%
Excessive treats dilute their nutrition, I'd cut back to once a week for your treat plates. Spinach isn't great for chickens so I'd drop that entirely. :]

Good morning,
16% protein was a number that was established based of the minimum protein requirements for feed to egg conversion of specifically egg farm White Leghorns 60 Years ago. Today's white legorms are more productive and need at least 17% protein, and your dual purpose hens like most people keep need at least 18% protein. Most studies on chickens in the last 30 years have used 17% protein to feed.
You can feed chick feed, all flock, game bird starter etc with oyster shell for the layers. High protein won't hurt your girls unless you start hitting levels around 30%
Excessive treats dilute their nutrition, I'd cut back to once a week for your treat plates. Spinach isn't great for chickens so I'd drop that entirely. :]
Thank you. Why, though, would non-productive hens -- my old, spent Orpington, Australorp, Welsummer, Barred Rock -- need more protein than an actively laying, high-producing Leghorn?

Thank you. Why, though, would non-productive hens -- my old, spent Orpington, Australorp, Welsummer, Barred Rock -- need more protein than an actively laying, high-producing Leghorn?
Because 16% just isn't good enough for even non laying birds, hence the 17% and 18% all flock mixes. Non laying birds shouldn't have layer feed, the high levels of calcium will hurt them.

Because 16% just isn't good enough for even non laying birds, hence the 17% and 18% all flock mixes. Non laying birds shouldn't have layer feed, the high levels of calcium will hurt them.

Understood. Purina Flock Raiser (20 percent protein) seems to be popular on BYC for all life stages, though bag directions are to feed only to onset of lay (hence the "raiser"). If it's a good choice to feed throughout the life cycle (with free choice oyster shell), I'll give the crumbles a try. Thank you for the counsel.

I see here, though, that many folks routinely feed an all-flock ration with higher protein, for reasons I'm not clear on.
It's more abut the lower calcium than the higher protein.
I've always fed 20% flock raiser, to all genders from hatch to harvest, with oyster shells in a separate feeder for the active layers.

Flock raiser with oyster shell here from hatch till not eating at all.

Purina says till point of lay based on marketing (buy Layena) not because of any nutritional point.
Yeah, no doubt. In any case, I've just procured a bag of Flock Raiser; a new shipment of dried mealworms (a favorite treat) and flaked oyster shell (which I have not been able to find locally, and which my hens prefer to the pebble) also are on the way. No one's spoiled here. :) Thank you.

It's more abut the lower calcium than the higher protein.
I've always fed 20% flock raiser, to all genders from hatch to harvest, with oyster shells in a separate feeder for the active layers.
Thanks! Somehow, the calcium concern with post-production layers escaped my attention, or I once knew and forgot it. Ignorance and forgetfulness are in a race to the finish with me. I'll let you know who wins if I can remember. :)

Back
Top Bottom