Brownie the rescue chicken? What is she?

chickenn@@b

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
I adopted a mystery chicken and am curious about her approximate age and breed. any help will be appreciated! She's my first chicken. We had just finished the run and coop when I got her
smile.png

Edited to add: she is not laying at all. The people that had her have had her in a little crate in the backyard for at least 4 months.

photobucket-4284-1319639418960.jpg

photobucket-4429-1319639283090.jpg

photobucket-4680-1319639201741.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a rhode island red. Comb and waddles are still small, so she probably just hasn't matured fully, yet. I'd say about six months?? Just my guess.

She looks like my Rhode Island Red hens. My hens are 10 months old, and their combs are bigger than Brownie's. So she might not be fully mature yet. Let her settle in, and give her a few months, and then record when she starts laying. She may not be quite 6 months yet. If her comb stays the same size as now, then who knows how old she is?

Thanks guys! I kinda guessed about 5-6 months and I know she wasn't given a proper diet (they were feeding her cereal
roll.png
) so I figured she might be a little immature from that too. She's a real sweetie.

chickenn@@b :

Thanks guys! I kinda guessed about 5-6 months and I know she wasn't given a proper diet (they were feeding her cereal
roll.png
) so I figured she might be a little immature from that too. She's a real sweetie.

Actually, she looks very healthy. Depending on what kind of cereal it was, it might not have been too bad for her. However, she probably needs some feed with calcium and protein. I can't say for sure how old she is, but she does look mature.​

They were feeding her rice krispies. They moved and left her behind with a pile of nasty soggy cereal in the crate. They also left behind a guinea pig I've been feeding and watering until I can find it a home.

I thought she looked pretty healthy too. She was actually pretty clean considering she had no coop or shelter and lived in a storage tub sitting on the ground in a wire cage. She's got beautiful soft feathers, no lice or mites, clear bright eyes. She just looks like her comb and wattles aren't quite mature yet? anyway, starting my egg countdown LOL

Back
Top Bottom