Browning Elephant Ears

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by MarthaTheRooster, May 20, 2019.

1. MarthaTheRooster

MarthaTheRooster Songster

Dec 19, 2018
    Carlisle, Kentucky
    Hey yall! I purchased my first elephant ear plant, its not hardy in my zone but I planned out putting it in a planter so it can sit outside in the summer months then come in during the winter. My issue is the edges of the leaves are becoming brown and flaking off. I've followed the label so far, keep moist and it sits in a spot on my covered porch where it can get indirect sunlight. Any tips on what I can do better?

2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Very generally speaking, I have learned that when leaves turn yellow a plant is getting too much water and when they turn brown and get brittle the plant is not getting enough water. This is not to say there isn't something else going on, but maybe start with a little more water. Also if you can upload a photo showing the leaves it might help someone identify any other potential issues.

3. MarthaTheRooster

MarthaTheRooster Songster

Dec 19, 2018
    Carlisle, Kentucky
    Will do! I don't have any photos of it right now but I will upload some once I get home! The tag that came with the plant said to keep the soil moist so I've been watering whenever the soil feels like its starting to dry out. I'm not really sure by what they mean by moist though. Should the soil be wet to the touch or should it be dryer than that before I water? :barnie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: