Brrrr.. it's COLD today here!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BawkinOnTheBench, Nov 24, 2010.

1. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    We live out here in Utah, and even though the weather people predicted a Blizzard that didn't happen but they were dead-on with the temperature! Our girls are huddled up in their coop with the ceramic heaters going and they're not going out at all hardly! Outside it's a chilly 12 degrees when I went out to tend to them. There's only about an inch or two of snow on the ground, but still it's cold!

How's everyone else doing with their hens?

2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Haha well my cold is different from YOUR Utah cold! But it is downright nippy here in Sacramento. It was 29 last time I went out, and that is cold to my sun spoiled california ars lol! I wish it would snow here, just a good 3 feet, just once... ::writes santa for snow::

My poor EE and Barred Rock are in an open air coop so I tied down two tarps to cover it so it will stay a little warm. My Brahma is just getting over feeling icky so I made sure HER coop was nice and insulated against the cold as well. But in about a half hour I will go let them out. Gotta break the ice off the dog water though first lol I can just imagine them going to drink and hitting smack dab onto ice.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  3. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    My chickens inside the coop? My Dad made it just liek a little house! But when I stepped in there they were ALL eager to get out.. Besides our rooster who was eager for ME to get out! So I opened the mup and now their roaming aorund in our backyard ^^

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    It was 18 degrees here this morning and they all went out. Perhaps it's because they don't have a heated coop so it's not that big a difference between outside and in.

5. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    Ha ha... just got to rub it in... [​IMG] Its 42* on my thermometer and sunny warm, but we are headed for Orem in a couple hrs.

6. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    To rub it in a little more it's 79 here. Going to get up to 85. [​IMG]

7. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Hum... its 77*F here and likely to get lower 80s

... Its begging to feel a lot like the fourth of July every where I go...

No wait that would be 90-100*F

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  8. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    Can you tell from this pic, the birds hated the snow?
    [​IMG]
    This was taken yesterday pre-dawn. Normally they'd be flying and hopping out the pop door to free range happiness, but this was different. They looked around, dazed and surprised, and you could tell, they were not happy. It was like, "Eeewww... what's this white stuff? Where's the snow human?"

9. Crabella

Crabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    Quote:I don't suppose you would care for a little extra company for Thanksgiving? It was -14 here last night and has "warmed up" to 11.

10. GrannaOnTheFarm

GrannaOnTheFarm New Egg

Jun 27, 2009
    Delta, Colorado
    It was 11 degrees this morning when I fed the critters. The other day I went
    to the coop to feed (before they layed for the morning) and there was a lone
    lop-sided egg sitting on top of one of the nest boxes. It was from the
    chicken who doesn't always put a shell around her eggs (!) and the egg was
    frozen solid. I guess it doesn't need a shell if it's cold enough. I set it
    on the ground for one of the dogs to enjoy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by