Bruised comb?

mandk2309

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2017
Can chickens bruise their comb? This is new within the last day or 2. Eating and drinking fine. The whole flock has been together for a few weeks. She is second from the top of the pecking order. She has blukote on because she was our roosters favorite. He was moved to his own pen 3-4 weeks ago. Thoughts? I thought it could be the blukote rubbing off but not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_1679.JPG
    IMG_1679.JPG
    476.1 KB · Views: 74
I've noticed the same thing on my girls from time to time, just on the tips of their combs. Never all birds at once, just one or two occasionally. I've never seen any ill effects, as the coloration goes away within a day. I assume something smudged on their comb with mine. The little clowns get into so much. I have a RIR that has mud from beak to breast every rain shower. Ahh, Ruffles... you are something else. I keep an eye on them when I see it, just to make sure it may not be a circulation problem (I thought I remember reading something about blue combs at one time or another). Now that you mention it though, why wouldn't a comb be able to be bruised? They seem to make great "handles" to move other birds when getting a spot on the roost at night. If she's acting fine, her comb is upright and not flopped over (unless she has a floppy comb), and she's acting as she normally does (eatin and poopin), I'd venture to say she's alright. It's definitely not frostbite season.

Looks like she has Blu Kote that has been transferred to the comb to me.

Provide her with some extra poultry vitamins a couple of days a week and extra protein like egg, tuna or meat in addition to her normal feed.

She may feather back in some, but it looks like some of the shafts of the feathers that are broken are still in some of the exposed skin so she won't grow those back until she molts. It's a little unusual to have feathers missing form the front like that from a rooster, so watch to see if there are any hens plucking at her as well.

Back
Top Bottom