Bruises

RAWR

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
who wants to know?
well. i played with the German Shepherd pup like you guys said. she still chews on my stuff. and me.
the playing went from, "yay!"to "oww!"
she plays rough. im okay with rough. so i play her game. now im covered in big black bruises. theres some on my arms that are brownish purple.
is there anyway to make them go away any quicker?
and yes, ik what a bruise is.
tongue.png

NO! Don't be OK with rough! If you teach the pup that it is OK to be rough it will be rough with everyone, every time! When she bites too hard and hard enough to make a bruise is WAY too hard. Stop playing and turn your back on her. Say No very clearly or OW so she knows instantly what she did and turn away. You playing with her is the reward. She doesn't get the attention unless she plays correctly. My dog knows she can play rougher with me when I am wearing gardening gloves, but the consequence was I ended up having to train her to the difference between gardening gloves and gloves in general.

A dog that bruises you is a bad thing for you and others. BTW, if you ice an injury right after it happens there is usually less bruising. But, ice the dog's behavior first!

No playing rough with the dog, kiddo.
BAD idea..it will just make the dog "rough"... and you dont want that...espically with a GSD.. yikes...
ep.gif

I teach my dogs to NEVER ever put their mouth on ANY human... never..not even in play time...
I use the command."NO BITE!" very sternly...when they try to play bite on me...
My dogs are are adults now and they know to never put their mouth on us...
Your dog will learn..just keep at it...
And if they try to play rough with you...STOP playing with them.... put your arms close to your sides and turn your back on them...
Teach them when they are calm then they can get attention..but NOT when they are being rough...

Last edited:
I agree..
When she bites YELP like you were a puppy and quit playing. Once she has settled again pick up the playing again.
My GSD is about 8 months old and he knows how to play with a human vs my other GSD.

hmm.png
i tryed all that.
if anything, ignoring her made it worse.
she jumped on me and bit my head >.<
it hurts really bad..
idk what to do
hmm.png

when our gsd was a puppy the breeder told us to pinch their lips if they started playing to rough and biting. After a couple of times he got the point. the momma dogs usually bite their pups muzzle to teach them so its kind of the same thing. You have to be the leader or they will walk all over you.

I never allow a pup to bite during play. If they do that when they are small, they think they are allowed to do it when larger and adult. They can do more damage when adult.

I usually broke my dogs from play bites, by biting them back and pinning them to the ground on their back. It tells them that you are the alpha animal. Leader of the pack..

If you let it play like that, later it will think it is the leader. Then you will be in trouble.

Quote:
Watching my older dogs with my puppy when he would get to rough what they did was pin him and snarl.
It scares them more than anything. I had to do it a few times myself but it got the message threw real quick.

I would caution doing it though if you are not sure of your position with the dog. Make sure she knows you are dom. first..

Back
Top Bottom