Brutalized pullet pooped out... something...

Besides the weird (probably lash egg) thing, she’s laid three eggs since I put her in the garage. One yesterday with a very thin shell which she apparently crushed in the process of laying it or shortly thereafter, and two (or two yolks anyway) this morning (I know... is this even possible?) with no shells at all. Her new puppy pad which I had just given her had a yolky mess on it

When I came back there was yolk all soaked into the pad again. So I cleaned it up again.
Do you have any calcium to give her? You can give Caltrate or even a TUMS for a couple of days to see if that hardens the shell up.
It sounds like she's having some reproductive problems, hopefully it's just a glitch and things will work out. Feel her abdomen for any bloat or fluid.

She has oyster shell. Is that good or you think she needs some other, perhaps more easily assimilated Ca source since she’s hurt? I’ll definitely check out her tummy... it had occurred to me that she might have been sickly already, making her vulnerable to being picked on.

I had similar egg symptoms happen with another hen when she got a little beat up by an overly enthusiastic cockerel. Could this be a stress response?

Female donkey?
Yes. :lol: I actually live in Jenny Gulch which I think refers to the old time gold miners’ donkeys. Jenny also refers to a young female turkey—young males are jakes (some people humorously call them tommies). I don’t know when a jenny officially becomes a hen though, nor a jake a tom. Maybe it’s just a matter of opinion.

Yes. :lol: I actually live in Jenny Gulch which I think refers to the old time gold miners’ donkeys. Jenny also refers to a young female turkey—young males are jakes (some people humorously call them tommies). I don’t know when a jenny officially becomes a hen though, nor a jake a tom. Maybe it’s just a matter of opinion.
Ahhhhh, thanks....didn't find that when I googled.
Have heard jake but not jenny, makes sense tho.
Probably goes to hens and toms at one year like with chickens.

That’s kinda what I figured. Most of them aren’t going to see tom or hen status, though. I just made another trip to the feed store... They’re personable, beautiful and funny, but it is time to top off the freezers.

She has oyster shell. Is that good or you think she needs some other, perhaps more easily assimilated Ca source since she’s hurt? I’ll definitely check out her tummy... it had occurred to me that she might have been sickly already, making her vulnerable to being picked on.

I had similar egg symptoms happen with another hen when she got a little beat up by an overly enthusiastic cockerel. Could this be a stress response?
Could be stress response, but the thin shelled egg and the egg yolks found on the puppy pads is concerning nonetheless. I would give extra calcium for a 2-3 days to see if that makes a difference and allows her to form a shell.
It's always good to make oyster shell available free choice, but it's not a "quick uptake" like TUMS or Caltrate.

Back
Top Bottom