BSL First Egg No Shell. Normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Allkindsofkinds, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Allkindsofkinds

Allkindsofkinds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Apache Junction, AZ
    Got our first egg from our 3 month old black sex link pullet today, but it had no shell, just the membrane. Is this common? Should the next one be normal? They're all on a 50/50 mix of Purina starter/grower and pet club layer feed. (Whole flock is 3 months old or less, not including their "mama" who is past her laying days.)

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    3 month old chicks are still much too young for laying. I'm betting your older hen laid the egg. And layer feed should never be fed to birds that aren't actively laying.

3. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Are you sure it's your 3 month old? That is still very young, and it's not uncommon for older hens to lay odd eggs.

It's common for new layers to lay abnormal eggs. I would suggest adding some oyster shell or other calcium supplement so they can take in some calcium as they need it. There's also no guarantee that the next egg will be perfect, but her laying and eggs should become normal with a little time.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  4. Allkindsofkinds

Mar 27, 2016
    Apache Junction, AZ
    100% sure it was her. Was there when it happened. Cleaned the boxes less than 5 minutes before, and she was the only one to go in that box between cleaning and egg. Made a bunch of noise too. Old hen can't even get to the box, as she has a broken leg that never healed, and can't get up the ramp(has her own special box that she can get to though, as she will ocasionally lay a tiny egg when the weather is nice)

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Are you sure of the age then? 3 months is very, very young.

6. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    That is some solid evidence. I wonder if she's an early early bloomer? Can you post pictures?

7. Allkindsofkinds

Mar 27, 2016
    Apache Junction, AZ
    Yep. Bought as a 3day old 3rd week of March.

8. Allkindsofkinds

Mar 27, 2016
    Apache Junction, AZ
    I have a Golden Campine cockerell that is a week older who has been pestering her lately if it makes any difference.

9. Allkindsofkinds

Mar 27, 2016
    Apache Junction, AZ
    No pics, will have to get some tomorrow. Phone was fried by a faulty charger and had to have the motherboard replaced.

10. Allkindsofkinds

Mar 27, 2016
    Apache Junction, AZ
    Got a couple pics of her.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Also weighed her. 2lbs, 13 oz.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by