Bubble like thing on back of chick

PETERKAY012

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2015
I had just helped my chick get out of the egg this morning because it had been 18 hours and the chick had been making no progress in getting out of the egg and it had stopped chirping which had worried me. When I got it out, there was blood in the egg and it came from the back of it. There is a bubble thing on the back and I'm not sure what it is. When the chick first came out of the egg, it was flapping its wings and chirping and opening its eyes, but now it's just sleeping and it has been sleeping for about an hour. I have been checking on it to make sure it's been breathing and it seems to have no breathing problems. Why is it bleeding and what is this thing on it? Thanks!

If it's bleeding it likely wasn't ready to hatch and you helped it out too soon before it could finish absorbing all the blood from the network of blood vessels in the egg. You can try a little flour or corn starch on its umbilicus to try to stop the bleeding, or hold some gentle pressure against it with a paper towel.

As for the bubble, do you have a picture of what you're talking about?

do you have a pic?
If its still bleeding or weeping blood would dab the spot with cornstarch to help clotting
try getting it to drink an electrolyte drink like pedialyte. Or if you don't have that try sugar water with a pinch of salt. I have them drink from an eye dropper when they seem weak

Okay, it can't stand on its own so should I just dip it's beak? Also, it's been sleeping for like an hour an a half, so should I wake it up to get it to drink or watch it and get it to drink when it wakes up?

I make up the sugar water solution then fill up an eye dropper. I wet the tip of the beak in a drop and see if i can get the chick to take that. With weak chicks getting them to drink with the dropper is your best bet. Once the chick can stand on its own then it can drink from a container. I once had a weak one drowned itself in a milk cap I had set close by for it to drink from

Last edited:
Judging when to help a chick and how much to do can be hard.

This is one of the chicks I am assisting at the moment.

Based on what I see I actually didn't need to assist this egg quite yet. This chick is in a good position and the membrane is moist.
From the redness of the veins I know I have at the very least 24 hours to go before this one is ready to come out, but I have committed myself to a fully assisted hatch and no sleep tonight, but I'm glad I made holes because the other egg with this one did need an assist. It had piped into the center of the air cell with no way to reach the shell.
I'm confident that these two will most likely survive hatch, but I've lost chicks I've assisted before and I've learned a lot from it.
Don't second guess yourself or let this stop you from assisting the next one who needs it.

Back
Top Bottom