bubbles

I recently found bubbles on my muscovy drakes eyes what should I do?
What do you mean by 'bubbles'?
you mean like this? This is just how the drakes look.
Muscovy-Duck-051a.jpg

I recently found bubbles on my muscovy drakes eyes what should I do?
Welcome to BYC. does your drake have a bucket deep enough to wash his face in, very important for their health, add some Apple Cider Vinegar to this 1-2 Tablespoons to 1 gal of fresh water. It's a good way to kill some bacteria and a great tonic.

I know muscovy ducks naturally have that red blubber on their faces, but my drake has soap looking white stuff in it's eyes so because of that it can't really see my hand when I feed it. I'll try putting some apple cider vinegar in it's water thanks for the advice!

There is something called foamy eye - it is the beginnings of an eye infection, possibly, so giving the duck a way to wash his head frequently is important. Where I am keeping liquid water outdoors for long is a real effort - either one needs some kind of heater or needs to constantly bring hot water out.

I keep the ducks' shelter at 40F or more (it just stays that warm because it is the walkout basement). This way they have liquid water for head washing even when we cannot provide a full swim pan.

My girl recently had foamy eye, I washed it away with a cloth and put her in a bath with Apple cider vinegar so she could have a good clean.
It only took that one time and no more foamy eye.

I find this usually happens when the bird has not been dunking it's head enough, also real common in transitional weather times when gunk, debris is at it's highest, you can wipe the eye but definitely ensure the birds have access to water deep enough to clean nares and eyes.

I have found it in all sexes, all ages, and so far *knock on wood* not had it turn into an infection.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom