Bubbly Mucus and Losing Balance

So sorry for your loss. If possible can you refrigerate the body, and send it in to your state vet vet this morning? That could get a diagnosis, and help to ease your mind. Tell the state vet that you are a backyard owner, and need to get a necropsy. There are several (six) poultry labs in NC that can do it, and you may be able to drive the body there. @Wyorp Rock may know the closest lab. Here is a link about state vets with contact nimbers, and you can look as well for the closest:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

So sorry for your loss. If possible can you refrigerate the body, and send it in to your state vet vet this morning? That could get a diagnosis, and help to ease your mind. Tell the state vet that you are a backyard owner, and need to get a necropsy. There are several (six) poultry labs in NC that can do it, and you may be able to drive the body there. @Wyorp Rock may know the closest lab. Here is a link about state vets with contact nimbers, and you can look as well for the closest:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Thank you. I will look into getting a neceopsy done. It would definitely put my mind at ease as I have been trying to sell most of my flock because I just can't take care of so many and there is a flock swop on the 2nd. Don't want to risk the other chickens and whatnot.

Well she didn't make it through the night. I had a feeling it would be like that.
The mucus had gone after a bit and she was breathing okay without having her beak open. Then by the time I was going to bed around 11pm the mucus was back. It was so sticky and I just couldn't clear it enough.

I'd looked down her throat as best I could and checked her cleft in her mouth everything seemed fine. The bubbles was most likely just air getting caught up in it.

She didn't have any other symptoms so I doubt it was anything more than just a simple upper respiratory thing.

All my other chickens are fine and looking and acting healthy. But I still intend to somehow clean out the coops. Not sure how to do it as I don't have enough places to put them all.

I've got 2 chickens inside in a rabbit cage in a 6ftx6ft storage room and if this turns out to be something bad I really don't want to expose them as they've been inside for over a month now.

Thank you. I will look into getting a neceopsy done. It would definitely put my mind at ease as I have been trying to sell most of my flock because I just can't take care of so many and there is a flock swop on the 2nd. Don't want to risk the other chickens and whatnot.
I'm sorry for your loss:hugs

NC has 4 lab locations - Fletcher, Elkin, Raleigh and Monroe. I agree getting testing done would be a good idea since you do flock swaps. Refrigerate the body and contact your nearest lab to make arrangement to send it in. If you are close to one of those locations, I believe you can make a drop off, but the lab will tell you.
Here's a link
http://www.ncagr.gov/vet/ncvdl/

Back
Top Bottom