Buckeye Barn 98% done

CUTE! CUTE! CUTE!
thumbsup.gif

Columbia - yeah once you get a hawk caught or stuck inside like that, they are not at all interested in the chickens anymore. We had an owl manage to get inside our coop one year it had a ventilation spot up top that I didnt realize a piece of wood and come aloose and the wire had fallen some, and the owl got in plenty easy but couldn't get back out without getting all kinds of poked by the wire and so was roosting in the coop with the chickens the next AM. you want to talk about scared to death by this thing when I went in the coop at 5:30 am and its dark out and hear "who hoot who hoot whoooooooo" and I see it, so opened the run up to the chickens and threw food out in the run instead of inside like I would have normally to get them all out of the coop...Then chased the danged owl out of there.

Quote:
LOL!! Same thing happened to my grandfather several times with the same owl. I don't think it was after his birds, just interested in a warm dry place to sleep.

That is so cute! Nice job!

The one other thing I would do for the sake of night time security, is cover the screen door and any vents with a wire that has smaller openings. I would go with 1/2" hardware cloth if it was mine, to keep out raccoon paws, rats and that one little species of weasel that's only 8" long. Just in case they decided to go through the netting. I'm sure I'm paranoid, but that doesn't mean they aren't really out there.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yeah that was on my list of things to do. We don't have weasels, just skunks and coons so cover the screen doors with 1/2 hardware cloth is a must.

Kind of wish we had weasels, I have never seen one in the wild.

Be careful with that type of run, that is what I had and someone's dogs went over my fence. Needless to say I am chickenless at the moment.

Quote:
The run is actually in the middle of our property so there's 3 layers of fence a dog would have to go through to get that far. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it's unlikely.

My real dog fear if the neighbors rottweiller who is a major sweety, but who really, really wants to come play hard with my birds. Someday she's going to crash thru or go over my driveway gates and it will either be a massive dog fight if mine are out or she'll kill some birds before I can catch her.

Back
Top Bottom