Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I have seen mine stalk and hunt mice. The summer of 2007 was an very hot one here. We had about a month of consecutive days with it over 100 F. Water was in demand during the day which brought the mice out. The hens learned this and would watch & wait to catch mice.

I even had a hen that caught and killed a chipmunk! However, there is one big difference between the Buckeyes mousing ability and a cat's -- a cat can see and hunt at night & a Buckeye cannot -- so the better mouser goes to the cat -- especially since the mice mostly come out at night.

I have seen mine stalk and hunt mice. The summer of 2007 was an very hot one here. We had about a month of consecutive days with it over 100 F. Water was in demand during the day which brought the mice out. The hens learned this and would watch & wait to catch mice.

I even had a hen that caught and killed a chipmunk! However, there is one big difference between the Buckeyes mousing ability and a cat's -- a cat can see and hunt at night & a Buckeye cannot -- so the better mouser goes to the cat -- especially since the mice mostly come out at night.
I have a pair of chipmunks stealing chicken food out of the bucket feeders. I would so love my buckeyes to dispense with the thieves!!!

600x450px-LL-030e561e_IMG_2793.jpeg

HA! Love the pictures !!
And at this age the Bucks are so gangly & scruffy looking...all legs & angles.
Are their voices changing ?
So now they make the "gorf gorf gorf" talk ?
lau.gif

I actually have a day off !
First in about 2-3 weeks !!!!!!!!!!!
So maybe getting caught up on other things besides outside work.
I have a big lumber delivery due to arrive in a few days....and very excited to be getting the walls up on our barn house (YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!)
But still missing talking to you all.
Later !
frow.gif

Eldevron LOVES snakes !
He snatches them up...by the tail... flips them straight up in the air...catches it head first & swallows it down like a fat piece of spaghetti !!!!!!!!!
sickbyc.gif

Cannot imagine how it feels slithering around in his crop.............................
sickbyc.gif

These are coast garter snakes, mostly babies about 10-12" long.............just a big night crawler, right ?

I have some Buckeye girls that I put in with an unfamiliar rooster (they've seen him, but not been with him). They had been broody and are no longer broody. How long before they start laying again? It's already been a couple of weeks, so I'm thinking they should start soon...hoping anyway.

I have finally made a picture of my 6 buckeyes. They are 6 weeks old and seem to be doing well (not all got into the picture). I think there are 2 males and 4 females but not positive, could be 3 and 3. I guess it is a little early to tell for sure. I have them double protected by having a tractor inside a pen run covered over the top and all. I lost my first start of buckeyes last year so want to take precautions. The big raccoon problem season is beginning to get started now so have to take extra steps to assure safety.

Thanks Tander! They are doing well, just not happy I have them cooped up right now, but I will let them out when the blueberries are gone and then they can forage to hearts content. Just want to make sure I am home when they are out because I don't want to lose any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom