Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new and not sure if this is where I I type the question. I am considering getting some Buckeyes because I would like a heritage breed and there is a farm that has Buckeyes nearby which would mean I didn't have to deal with shipping. I live in Northeast Ohio so they climate seems appropriate. I am interested in a meat and laying bird. I have read they are friendly which also interests me. I live in the city and have heard they are a little chattier but would be butchering any roosters as soon as they start to become loud. I used to help my uncle on his chicken farm but he had game birds so I don't know much about other breeds. The breed description mentions these birds do well as a free range bird. Is that because they are a heritage breed or because they really need a lot of room. My coop and run area is not huge. Should I go with a different breed and ship birds and eggs or is it possible to make this breeds work? Opinions please. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place
I have done well with Buckeyes in both a city (confined space) and the rural setting where I live now. I have also raised them to butcher size in both free ranging & penned conditions. Buckeyes do well either way. Buckeyes are a very easy going breed. They are also curious and follow me around.

This thread is makin me want a buckeye or 6.

Obviously haven't been through all of it, but I did see something about hens getting lighter after molt, and that was a particular strain, and a particular hatchery has that strain etc. So I guess my question is, which "strain" does ideal hatchery have? If anyone knows? I'm in the planning stages of the next coop, and really new to chickens, but I have to say i'm showing signs of being addicted already. I want a mixed flock, but the plan is for two separate coops/run, one for just eggs, one for chicken science to play in...

Out of all the "heritage breeds" these certainly seem to have a really cool demeanor, are gorgous, and the whole ranging ability coupled with as friendly as you guys make them, are pushing me to get a few... the best place to get them would be? I'd probably get just a straight run anyway, but where would the best place to acquire such birds?

Obviously haven't been through all of it, but I did see something about hens getting lighter after molt, and that was a particular strain, and a particular hatchery has that strain etc. So I guess my question is, which "strain" does ideal hatchery have? If anyone knows? I'm in the planning stages of the next coop, and really new to chickens, but I have to say i'm showing signs of being addicted already. I want a mixed flock, but the plan is for two separate coops/run, one for just eggs, one for chicken science to play in...

Out of all the "heritage breeds" these certainly seem to have a really cool demeanor, are gorgous, and the whole ranging ability coupled with as friendly as you guys make them, are pushing me to get a few... the best place to get them would be? I'd probably get just a straight run anyway, but where would the best place to acquire such birds?

Deepfried: If you look at post #4527, there is a link to the American Buckeye Poultry Club website. Click on the 'Breeders' link and see if there is someone near you who has buckeyes available. You can get some good buckeyes, and if you pick them up, you can get a look at what the birds look like and not have to guess and hope for the best using mail order.

It depends on what your goals are. And this is true for everyone.

If you want a home flock for meat and eggs, Ideal is a good place to order from. If you want show birds for 4H or competition, a local breeder is going to be a better way to go.

If you REALLY want to get into detail on what you're getting, it pays to read the Standard of Perfection for the breed. But even there, it's not always for a newbie to translate that into practice. I know it wasn't for me. Probably the best place on the web to go for a look at how to apply the SOP to real live birds is the American Buckeye Club's blog and the Understanding the SOP section here: http://www.americanbuckeyeclub.blogspot.com/p/understanding-sop.html

You will find lots of Buckeye owners willing to share what they know and their experience. Good luck with your birds, wherever you get them from.

rick

I got three Buckeyes last spring, two pullets and a rooster. It seems like it has taken them forever to mature. They didn't start laying during the fall like my other pullets (leghorns). Now it is the middle of winter and I have not seen the first egg from them. Any suggestions or am I just being impatient with slow growing birds?

Thanks Rick, there's a lot of info out there, what I am looking for would be a strain more for meat than eggs, I will have other birds for eggs, the Buckeye's would be for...well just having really cool birds. I want the " we're all good roaming 'round, oh hey, you got any treats?" type attitude. The mice thing is neat and a bonus, and they should find plenty around here. The "roar" is something I really wanna hear as well.

I got three Buckeyes last spring, two pullets and a rooster. It seems like it has taken them forever to mature. They didn't start laying during the fall like my other pullets (leghorns). Now it is the middle of winter and I have not seen the first egg from them. Any suggestions or am I just being impatient with slow growing birds?

Yes, they do take a while to mature. I wouldn't expect eggs before 24 weeks, although some have been known to start at 22. The trouble with Buckeyes, especially pullets, is that if they are late spring hatch, the shorter days will shut down production and if they go into molt they stop as well. I had mine on lights for a month or so but turned them off around Thanksgiving. They went into molt - looks like a pillow fight out by the pen now - and I don't expect production to pick back up for a couple weeks or so. Which is fine with me because I need to finish getting my DIY incubator put together.

Thanks Rick, there's a lot of info out there, what I am looking for would be a strain more for meat than eggs, I will have other birds for eggs, the Buckeye's would be for...well just having really cool birds. I want the " we're all good roaming 'round, oh hey, you got any treats?" type attitude. The mice thing is neat and a bonus, and they should find plenty around here. The "roar" is something I really wanna hear as well.

Oh, there is a LOT of info out there, DFB. And some of it is even accurate, LOL.

Glad you are getting Buckeyes for "really cool birds" instead of commercial or even family meat production. I would recommend the hybrid meaties like Freedom Rangers, Redbros, or the Red and Black Broilers that are out there for strictly meat production on range. Buckeyes will never produce the heavy breast meat that those breeds do. However, they do produce excellent dark meat and a good bit of it. Perfect of noodles, dumplings, casseroles, and soups. Just expect to keep them around for 18 weeks or better before you process them. If you raise a turkey or two as well, you could rear them on the same schedule and take everyone in for processing all at once.

As for "meat strains" I don't know that there are any specifically for that since they are a dual purpose bird. But I would guess that good show stock will produce a heavier bird than some of the stock intended for laying. Some breeders use a "double mating" system and you might check with them. Chris might have more info on whether show birds are heavier than layers or hatchery stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom