Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not real big on Cunningham's ability to judge a buckeye......I put a 9 pound cock (I weighed him right before I put him in the traveling box) and he told me the bird was still to small. I pointed out the standard and he told me I was wrong about the birds weight. Just not a real big fan.
As far as the weather, that is why I shy away from winter shows.....the weather can be unpredictable.....if the birds are standing there all humped up....I know I will be also!
I have been watching the judging at these shows to see if the judge parts the back to look for the slate bar. I did not see him do it on any of the Buckeyes. I did see him look at the breast as if he was examining whether there was any black. He never came back to the tent where the Buckeyes were when he was looking back over the class. Some judges wouldn't advance a Buckeye no matter what you put up there. Those of us who show our Buckeyes need to be mindful of who is judging as it takes a lot of effort and work to travel to these shows.

I am sending you a PM.

YEP! I've been screaming that for a few years now. I feel that some judges don't understand what they are looking at or care to understand. They have certain breeds they prefer and their we lay. It is what it is. That "bar of slate" was put in the SOP for a reason.....judges should be checking for it. BUT.....from a few mouths I've been told that when judging the bar doesn't matter......I can disagree all I want; just falls on deaf ears. Heck, I've even been told that the buckeyes are supposed to be a dark bird and black on the chest was OK.......I disagreed there also when I pointed to the SOP. It is what it is.

To those that are new to the breed and curious about the "bar of slate" referenced above. Here are a couple decent pictures. Now I do realize that the SOP calls for the "bar of slate" on the back only. Several of the specimens that we are breeding have this "bar of slate" throughout the plummage of the body......thought I'd share.

To those that are new to the breed and curious about the "bar of slate" referenced above. Here are a couple decent pictures. Now I do realize that the SOP calls for the "bar of slate" on the back only. Several of the specimens that we are breeding have this "bar of slate" throughout the plummage of the body......thought I'd share.

That is great Joe. Thanks for sharing! Your pictures are a treasure.

Oh, cool, thank you, for taking the time to show that so clearly for people.

No problem guys.........I've complied several pictures to help illustrate different features that are "not as easily described" for our group...I have no problems sharing.......just trying to help people select and produce better specimens.

It would be wonderful to collect images like that on the Buckeye club website, if that's possible for the various parties to arrange. I appreciate the wonder of the SOP and its role as the final say, but expecting people to breed and select the right birds from the SOP alone (especially without real life chicken experience with a poultry master) is like handing people a dictionary and expecting them to be able to write a Pullitzer Prize winning novel with only the information found inside.
smile.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom