Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
te dave,
you might want to check with Laura / Pathfinders Farm.i ordered 25 from her (got them on April 13) and am very happy with them.

Junior

Beautiful Birds!!!! I'm sure you're proud!

Quote:
My suggestion would be to find a breeder closest to where you live, to minimize the shipping stress. The American Buckeye Poultry Club has a number of members that sell chicks or hatching eggs, and the occasional juvenile. Check the membership roster here http://www.americanbuckeyepoultryclub.com/aboutus.php

And
a word of caution to anyone buying chicks or eggs -- do your research! Ask the Breeder/Seller for references; check the Better Business Bureau to ensure there are no complaints about the Breeder/Seller. Any inquiries about a specific person here in BYC should be made through Private Messages (PM) ONLY!! We cannot discuss specific Breeder/Sellers through the thread.

Janet Hatch
NW MO
NPIP 43-727

We raise LF Buckeyes -- and only Buckeyes

See two of our birds here https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=52136

edited to fix links

Janet the aggressive sales girl, go go go!!!

What Janet is trying to politely say is that the demand for my birds have been overwhelming last year and this year and you should buy from her instead of me. I have shipped late and have had issues refunding orders when people requested a refund. Yep, I did, yep I did. I hate it but I did, and I am still here taking flack and am not going away and will always sell buckeyes. Every order will be satisfied.

Now that being said I am down to the last 20 orders of the year and am shipping 8-12 orders a week through November, so if you want chicks this fall I can fill your order, but I am currently backed up.

Some people recommend chicks from their flock.
Some people recommend chicks from other flocks.
Some people recommend chicks from people that are closer.
Some people recommend chicks from a hatchery.
It is your choice, if you want convenience or reliability pick some up from a huge breeder or someone close.
If you want top quality buckeyes, seek them out, find them and get them.

The chick is the least expensive part of your buckeye endeavor, make sure you buy birds that you know will be satisfied with the quality of chick seek them out, find them and buy them.

Quote:
Thanks for the figures. Are your goals production, birds for shows, selling chicks to backyard chicken folks, or something else?

I'm trying to figure if heat is the cause for the drop in egg production, so at about what level in the US are you? Are you at about the same latitude as

North Dakota
South Dakota
Nebraska
Kansas
Oklahoma or
Texas? (Shhh. Don't tell AK and HI that I left them out.)

Or since you a A Nonny Moose, maybe you'd just like to say top, middle or lower (bottom sounded wrong). Of course, for all I know, you're in Spain, but then I don't think there are many Buckeyes in Spain.

The June figures are a little lower than expected, but then I haven't done a summer count on layers. I'm always so busy with all the other summer stuff. And as you mentioned, logistics of chick keeping seem to work against easy counting.

Early Evening All.... Time to share a couple pics of the dominant roo here on the hill. Libby is 15 months now. He is very man friendly.

182_014.jpg

I have a small goup of young ones from him that are 16 weeks old now. They love room to roam, and don't sit long in one spot long.

182_010.jpg

<<< Are your goals production, birds for shows, selling chicks to backyard chicken folks, or something else?>>>>

Our primary goal is to raise quality Buckeyes. Our birds have been shown extensively by us and also by those who have purchased our chicks… and have been consistent winners which makes all the effort worth while.

Right now we are in the midst of a heat wave with the temp and humidity racing to 90s + almost on a daily basis and daily egg production is eradicate. It seems some days they all decide to go on strike and the next day they all decide to lay an egg and the weather on both days is about the same. The totals for the week however remain about the same.

The coop is 200+ sq feet with windows and one end can be completely opened for ventilation… but the buildings roof and side are tin. At mid day it’s like an oven. We’ve installed fans that run 24/7 to move the air, which helps, but nevertheless, conditions are less than desirable.

Our weather goes to the extremes, sub zero in the winter and 90s+ in the summer and IMO Buckeyes do much better in the winter than they do in the summer, but under any condition they are a great all-round bird.

Pretty rooster you've got there:). I was wondering about the shanks; his look nice and thick but I don't have enough experience to know what they are supposed to look like. My SOP says stuff like, "not too X" for some of the qualities, which I find maddening. I really need to get to some poultry shows this year.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom